Basketball Recap 12/12

Visual+senior+Aaron+Crawford+wins+the+opening+tip+off+against+Florida+Atlantic+University+High+School+%28FAUHS%29+to+get+the+game+started.+The+Dreyfoos+Jaguars+would+receive+the+first+possession+in+a+game+that+they+have+highly+anticipated+after+beating+FAUHS+last+year.+
Rachel Jeune
Visual senior Aaron Crawford wins the opening tip off against Florida Atlantic University High School (FAUHS) to get the game started. The Dreyfoos Jaguars would receive the first possession in a game that they have highly anticipated after beating FAUHS last year.

On Dec. 12, the Dreyfoos basketball team lost 59-43 against Florida Atlantic University High School. The Jaguars attempted to expand on their perfect home winning streak, which has not been blemished since 2015. Coming off of a win at home last night, they were primed to keep this streak going.

In the first half, the Jaguars were in a tightly contested game, largely due to band senior Adam Freedman’s spark off of the bench where he racked up six points and a steal. However, the team still couldn’t get things going as Florida Atlantic outrebounded and outperformed them. The half concluded with the Jaguars trailing 29-20.

“[We need to] rebound and be more physical,” social studies teacher and basketball coach Jeffrey Stohr said. “[The team should] stop being scared of physical contact. We’re playing very soft right now and [the game] didn’t go the way we wanted. [Florida Atlantic] played very well and very disciplined. We’re just going to work hard; we just have to better as a team and play more as a team.”

In the third quarter, Dreyfoos started to gain momentum as they passed the ball with efficiency and forced bad shots out of the defense. With two minutes remaining in the quarter, Dreyfoos cut the score down to four. A lazy pass led to a basket by Florida Atlantic, making the score 37-30.

As the fourth quarter went underway, the Jaguars appeared to be a different team. They played excellent defense and even better offense. String senior Amare Davis scored six points in a row, which was then followed one from visual senior Aaron Crawford. Poor shots and key turnovers plagued the the Jaguars and quickly the score expanded to 16.

“We ran out of energy; we became sloppy,” visual senior Matthew George said. “They were pressing us and we couldn’t handle the pressure. If we kept the energy the entire game, if we kept it clean, and we were able to get past the pressure at half court, then we would’ve won the game.”

View Comments (1)
$750
$10000

Shane McVan
Shane McVan, Sports Editor
Communications senior Shane McVan is the current sports edior and it is his third year on The Muse. He is also the business editor of Seeds Literary Arts Magazine. In his free time, He trains mixed martial arts and loves football. McVan in the future plans on receiving a job in the communication arts department as a sports broadcaster and journalist.
$750
$10000

• S

Sharon FreedmanDec 21, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Hi Shane,
    Do you happen to know when the article about Adam and the Potentia basketball clinic is coming out? If so can you send me a PDF? Also are there any more basketball articles with Adam mentioned? thanks Sharon Mom

Reply