Fantasy Football Fillers Week 6

Photo by Alana Gomez

Week six of the NFL season was filled with many surprises such as Miami Dolphins running back Jay Ajayi rushing for over 200 yards and two touchdowns. Ajayi was demoted from the starter down to second string a few weeks before against the Cincinnati Bengals, but has shined the past two weeks rushing for 246 yards and three touchdowns. Another standout was  Chicago Bears receiver Cameron Meredith who has had 27 targets and 243 yards over the last two weeks in receiver Kevin White’s absence. Below are players that can provide major value such as Ajayi and Meredith did last week or ruin your chances of winning this upcoming week.

Sleepers:

It appears that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has found his Dion Lewis of last year with running back James White. White provides the Patriots with a different set of skills than that of fellow running back LeGarrette Blount. His ability to receive both on the line and in the backfield as a running back has helped him lead the team in receptions last week. He is currently second on the team in terms of overall receptions this year, trailing tight end Martellus Bennett. He is the third down and receiving running back which could provide major value in point per reception (PPR) leagues. Last week he caught two touchdowns and is likely to follow up his stellar performance this week against the Pittsburgh Steelers who have allowed one third of their receiving touchdowns to running backs this year.

Teams continue to force Los Angeles Rams quarterback Case Keenum to beat them with his passing game instead of allowing running back Todd Gurley to run all over them. While Keenum has been lighting up opposing defenses, he has found a new favorite target. Veteran receiver Kenny Britt has played under head coach Jeff Fisher for the last three years on the Rams. Over the past three weeks, he has had over 75 receiving yards and last week he had a breakout game against the Detroit Lions in which he posted 136 yards and two touchdowns. This week he looks primed for a repeat performance against a New York Giants team that, despite pouring over 200 million dollars this offseason on defense, has allowed the sixth most 40+ yard plays and the tenth most receiving yards this season.

In the offseason, the Indianapolis Colts lost one of their top receiving options in tight end Coby Fleener. In his absence, quarterback Andrew Luck developed a strong connection with tight end Jack Doyle and has been favored him throughout the season, especially in the red zone. Doyle has scored three touchdowns this year and will see an expanded role with starting tight end Dwayne Allen injured.

Busts:

Ryan Matthews has performed well this year piling up four scores as the lead option in the Philadelphia backfield, but this week he faces his toughest task of the season, the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings have allowed only three rushing scores this season ranking fifth among defenses and first in rushing yards per game. Matthews doesn’t gain many yards on the ground, averaging 41.2 yards per game. Matthews will have trouble finding clear running lanes against the Vikings defense, especially without starting right tackle Lane Johnson.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are ranked third this year in receiving yards allowed. This week they face the Oakland Raiders and star wide out Amari Cooper. Cooper has only caught one touchdown this year and needs to be high in yardage to be fantasy relevant. This will be hard for him as seen from  his lack of consistency in finding the end zone this season.

Most critics expected the Philadelphia Eagles to finish at or near the bottom of their division this year due to their defense. The Eagles have disproved that theory ranking fifth in rushing touchdowns allowed, ninth in rushing yards allowed, and first in passing yards allowed. Vikings running back Jerick McKinnon has filled in nicely for the injured Adrian Peterson, but faces a tough test against the Eagles this week. There are better options than McKinnon especially because short yardage and goal line opportunities belong to fellow running back Matt Asiata.