Fantasy Football Fillers Week 3

Photo by Lorenzo Romano

Fantasy owners can take a deep sigh of relief with first-round picks finally producing points in week three of the season. Players such as Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley and Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Allen Robinson are prime examples of some standouts this past week. Gurley ran for 85 rushing yards and two scores, and Robinson also accounted for two scores. Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott finally had that breakout game everyone was waiting for rushing for 140 yards on 30 attempts. Those who risked taking Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell could be rewarded with his Sunday-night homecoming against the Kansas City Chiefs. Here are my sleepers and busts for week 4:

Sleepers for week three:

‘Next man up’ seems to be the motto for the New England Patriots, who are now onto their fourth-string quarterback. One lesson learned in week three is that Patriots head coach Bill Belichick can plug any player in any position and make them a star. His offense is full of players who never should have made it, such as receiver Julian Edelman, who was drafted in the seventh round of the 2009 draft. Edelman holds serious value this week as the next quarterback in line after the first three’s injuries or suspensions. The Patriots feel more comfortable with starting Edelman, who knows the system as a former college quarterback, rather than a free agent.

Opportunity is key. Chicago Bears rookie running back Jordan Howard will fill in for starting running back Jeremy Langford’s and second-string Ka’Deem Carey, who are both out with injuries. Howard is facing a weak Detroit Lions defense who has allowed a league worst of 5.1 yards per carry to running backs this season.

While it may have come as a surprise that Denver Broncos quarterback Trevor Siemian won the starting job over veteran quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and first round pick Paxton Lynch, he has shined in the spotlight, throwing over 300 yards and four touchdowns last week against a strong Cincinatti Bengal defense. This week he faces a Tampa Bay Buccaneer defense that has allowed the fourth most passing touchdowns this season to quarterbacks. Siemian is owned in only 4.8 percent of ESPN leagues, and should be picked up and started this week against Tampa Bay.

Busts for week three:

Being an elite wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL) is tough due to double teaming and receiving most of the attention from defenses. This is precisely why New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. will continue to disappoint this week against the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings have allowed only one touchdown to receivers at home and three total for the season. Beckham has not lived up to the expectation of being the second best receiver this year in fantasy; he is not even the second best receiver on his team. Beckham has not found the end zone this season, and with the emergence of Giants receiver Sterling Shepard, the star wide out will yet again be shut down by that ferocious Viking defense.

After a game where New York Jets running back Matt Forte went berserk with 100 rushing yards and three touchdowns, he only managed 64 scrimmage yards on 17 touches with no touchdowns. Forte has been brought back to earth and is now facing a Seattle Seahawks’ defense that has allowed only  3.5 yards per carry and has been consistent as one of the top defenses in the NFL under head coach Pete Carroll. The Jets may try to lean on the run with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick struggling, but the Seahawks will be ready to pounce on this one dimensional Jets team.

Running backs that rely completely on touchdown production should not be in your fantasy lineup. Raiders running back Latavius Murray has scored a touchdown in three consecutive weeks but has not surpassed the rushing mark of 59 yards. He faces a Raven’s defense that has allowed 2.84 yards per carry to running backs at home this season and only one touchdown. Without his touchdown production, Murray is not a viable option this week.

View Comments (2)
$450
$10000

Shane McVan, Sports Editor
Communications senior Shane McVan is the current sports edior and it is his third year on The Muse. He is also the business editor of Seeds Literary Arts Magazine. In his free time, He trains mixed martial arts and loves football. McVan in the future plans on receiving a job in the communication arts department as a sports broadcaster and journalist.
$450
$10000

• R

Ryan FreeseSep 27, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Beautiful article Shane.

Reply
  • F

Fransisco CastroSep 27, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Hey now, Todd Gurley is overrated at best. And dont even get me started on that scum Robinson. Real sleepers for this week are extremley obvious and im kind of shocked you call your self a “fantasy expert” for missing such obvious candidates. First off is Cody Parkey. Yes we all know he had a rough game last week, but he has a cannon for a leg. Second is non other than than the patriots new QB, Julian Edelman. So what of hes a reciver by trade and played a little QB in college and highschool, we all remember that one time he threw a TD. The next sleeper is actually a whole team. Led by Meagatron, Suh, Joiqe Bell, and Nick Farley, the Detroit Lions will have an easy W against the choke artists we call the Eagles

Reply