• February 26Strings Concert with Bak on Feb 29 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Bak MSOA
  • February 26Robotics Competition Field Trip on Feb 29 at Broward Convention Center
  • February 26DECA Field Trip on Feb 29 in Orlando
  • February 26Women of Tomorrow Field Trip on Feb 28 at 9:45 a.m.
  • February 26DSOA and Bak Band Combined Concert on Feb 27 from 6-8 p.m. at Bak MSOA
  • February 26BSU Block Party on Feb 26 at 11:19 a.m.

MR. DREYFOOS WITHDRAWS SCHOOL NAME CHANGE REQUEST

Haley Johnston

After careful consideration, Alexander Dreyfoos “respectfully” withdrew his request to add “and Sciences” to the name of the school according to an email sent from his lawyer Harvey Oyer to Superintendent Dr. Donald Fennoy on Tuesday, May 14.

The termination of his proposal signifies the end of a near six-year debate over the school’s name, though Mr. Dreyfoos has stated that in no way does it “diminish his pride” in what the school has achieved.

After participating in the School Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on May 1 in the Media Center, Mr. Dreyfoos “carefully reviewed every comment and suggestion” made by students, parents, and teachers regarding the name change, according to the email. The meeting concluded with a unanimous vote against the proposal, with the exception of one abstention.

Mr. Dreyfoos was “deeply moved by the pride and passion” demonstrated by all speakers, and he acknowledged that this “cannot be ignored.” Read the full letter obtained by The Muse from the Office of the Superintendent below.