Celebration of Collaboration

The Winter Arts Medley (WAM) allows every art area to be showcased in one performance
Ashwin Kishor
Vocal seniors Brian Trompeter, Brianna Tejada, Angelina Castillo, and Aileen Pereda perform “Frosty the Snowman” at the 2023 Winter Arts Medley (WAM).

The red velvet curtains of Meyer Hall swoop open, revealing orchestra director Jeffrey Adkins and the Dreyfoos Philharmonic Orchestra, and with a twitch of his baton, the stage erupts into the sound of Symphony No.3 in C Minor. As the music swells, dancers move in from the wings, twirling and leaping to the music created by the orchestra behind them.

The Winter Arts Medley (WAM), held Dec. 8, was the first ever collaborative performance in which every single major was incorporated. In a 21-part performance, each major was showcased during the first annual WAM concert, including dance numbers, orchestral and jazz performances, poetry readings, theatre scenes, art pieces displayed in the Meyer Hall lobby, all hosted by communications seniors Arik Karim and Jasmine Mullings.

Thanking the audience for attending, communications seniors Jasmine Mullings (left) and Arik Karim (right) close the performance. (Ashwin Kishor)

Vocal sophomore Daniel Jones

Encouraging the crowd to clap along, vocal sophomore Daniel Jones performs “This Christmas” by R&B artist Chris Brown. (Ashwin Kishor)

It seems organized but it also seems last minute if that makes sense. Everyone’s in their place at the right time.”

— Daniel Jones

Theatre junior Kentrell Taylor

I think it’s really cool. I mean, I don’t think we do a lot of performances. like this where all the majors are kind of all together.”

— Kentrell Taylor

Band junior David Aloni

I think the most different kind of approach to this is the organization of what’s happening on stage, like moving everything on and off the stage. Like what do we do with all our instruments and stuff once we finish I think that’s the biggest change.”

— David Aloni

Theatre senior Shaiden Tamim

Shouting to theatre senior Shaiden Tamim, theatre senior Lillian Jones acts out a scene from Charles M. Schulz’s “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” Jones and Tamim portrayed characters Lucy van Pelt and Charlie Brown respectively. (Ashwin Kishor)

The artist medley is something new this year and we all didn’t really know what was going to go into it, so we only really had a couple of weeks to do it. But when we decided to do it, we went all out. We’ve had a couple of after school rehearsals during the week and in my free time, I’ve been memorizing the lines as fast as I can. We all work with each other to make sure that we’re memorized and good and not clueless on stage.”

— Shaiden Tamim