• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Capturing moments one Instagram post at a time

• Dance juniors Francesca Gabriel and Reagan Domino pose in front of a mural in Miami’s Wynwood Art District. “Now that it’s summer, I feel like I have full freedom to explore new places and acquire new experiences,” Domino said. “Being in a pair of awesome sunglasses with your best friends by your side definitely doesn’t hurt.”

• Strings senior Olivia Perez smiles at a school in Jean Danis, Haiti. Perez is currently on a missionary trip intended to provide basic amenities such as food, clean water, and education to underprivileged children.

• Dance junior Paige Lewis shoots a photo of dance junior Tara Brigham and dance freshman Alexis Genzone walking along a trail at Blowing Rocks Beach in Jupiter, FL.

• Digital media junior Ava Campana takes a picture of piano senior Christina Harbaugh amidst the tall grasses in Savannah, Georgia. Campana is a student photographer, as she gets paid to take pictures for the Paul Fischer Gallery and various modeling agencies. Yet, she also pursues photography in her free time–constantly looking to improve her skills and capture every viable moment she can.

• Vocal junior Mario Selman snaps a picture with fans in San Antonio, Texas. Selman, a popular social media figure, is spending his summer touring around the United States, Canada, and Europe with other social media icons. Selman will perform at various venues in cities such as Amsterdam, Montreal, and New York City. Seman amassed a large following due to his content on YouNow, Musical.ly, and YouTube.

Like all social media, Instagram comes with its pros and cons. Among the cons: one’s life is subject to constant scrutiny by the public eye and there’s the ever-present danger of private information being stolen. In our social media-based world, people face the risk of an internet addiction that’s beginning to characterize our technology-obsessed society.

With that said, in recent years Instagram has morphed into almost an art form. Whether it’s a glowing sunset sinking into a gold-tinged sky, a decadent lunch at a local cafe, a laborious trek through the Congolian rainforests of Sub-Saharan Africa, or simply laying in bed on a rainy Sunday watching old reruns of “Friends”- Instagram serves as a platform where one is able to capture significant moments and share them with the rest of the world.

Dreyfoos students of all grades and majors have capitalized on this opportunity, taking to Instagram to document and display selective slivers of their life with their friends, family, and community.

“I’m not a big fan of social media, but I think Instagram is amazing,” dance junior Emily Sweets said. “You’re exposed to pictures that inspire you, make you laugh, evoke desires, stir dreams, and prompt you to live your life to the fullest. You also have the power to create; you’re able to choose a set of photos that describe and represent who you are.”

During the long-awaited summer break, one’s Instagram feed becomes bombarded with photos of white-washed beaches, sun-kissed skin, and ornate 14th century European churches. Yet, these photos symbolize more than unrelated snapshots–they’ve come to represent a spirit of summer adventure that will remain even after the seasons change and school begins.

“I like to think of my Instagram feed as a collective portfolio of mismatched pieces,” communications junior Nico Bravada said. “All the pieces are tied together by a common thread: we’re all on summer break, we’re all seeking respite from the long months of endless homework and standardized testing, [and] we’re all just trying to enjoy ourselves while we have the chance. What better way to express those ventures than through Instagram?”