• March 27No School because of Good Friday on 3/29/24
  • March 27No School on 3/25/24
  • March 27Asian Cultural Society Holi Holiday on 3/28/24 at 11:19 a.m. at the Blue Tables Outside Cafeteria
  • March 27Scholarship Night on 3/27/24 at 6 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • March 27Dual Enrollment Meeting on 3/27/24 at 11:19 a.m. in the Cafeteria

Senior Departure Series: Dorm Hacks

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino

As the stress of college admissions settles and seniors begin to embark on their new journey, there are some preparations that need to be made, like deciding how to decorate the dorm that will act as their home for the next year. Decorating a dorm can get pricey and a bit stressful, but the following hacks can make the process more enjoyable.

The first way to save money when decorating your dorm is simply bring items that are already in your room. There is no need to go out and purchase completely new pillows and blankets, just bring them with you. This will save money and it will also make your dorm feel more like home on days when you can get a little homesick.

Another tip is to use old shoe boxes for storage. Old shoe boxes are great for storing supplies, bathroom necessities, and many other things. So instead of buying storage bins from the store, gather up all of your old shoe boxes. You can also paint them and decorate them to make it more personalized.

And of course you can’t forget about decor. How you personalize your dorm can either make or break your room. So, why not make your own decorations. Pinterest is a great place to go to find inspiration and dorm DIY’s, from making your own temporary headboard to building your own bookshelf, the possibilities are endless and cheap. This way, you can make exactly what you want for your dorm without having to search through stores for the perfect decorations.

And finally, don’t make the mistake of bringing too much. Dorms are small, you don’t want to splurge on items that seem useful now but will just take up room later. According to the Huffington Post, here are some items that should not make the cut: An Alarm clock – there is an app for that. Printer – might also be an enormous waste of money. Many schools have networked printers available to students and assignment are often turned in online. Plants – they are guaranteed to die.  CDs or DVDs. Desk Lamp – many rooms have adequate overhead light and computers are backlit.