Dreyfoos on Ice
Dreyfoos on Ice
April 22, 2024

Preseason Soccer Conditioning

Photo by Rowan Bennetti
(L-R) Digital media senior Maddy Winchester and band senior Kaitlyn Svopa run with the rest of the girls soccer team during preseason conditioning.

Soccer preseason conditioning has begun, with prospective players showing off their skills and getting back into shape. All players are motivated for this year’s upcoming tryouts in hopes of getting a spot on the Dreyfoos soccer team.

“We have more people compared to last year,” Coach Alonso Rodriguez said. “Maybe because we have a lot of freshman coming in from Bak. [There are more] people from last year [that] are motivated to return to the team too.”

This year’s conditioning is a lot more challenging for many people, including communications sophomore Skyler Buitrago. The intensity of this year’s conditioning has only strengthened his determination and drive for securing a spot on the team.

“[It’s] a little bit more vigorous training and they make you do a lot more running and drills,” Buitrago said. “[Soccer conditioning] also gives you a confidence boost knowing that you’ve been out here to run and keep pushing yourself harder each time.”

Getting the players back on their feet and back into shape is the biggest challenge Coach Rodriguez has to overcome. After two and a half months of summer, conditioning is crucial for the boys and girls soccer teams to be successful during the season.

“Not every player [conditions] over the summer,” Coach Rodriguez said. “Getting them back into shape has to be the thing we are struggling with the most. The reason why we do conditioning is so they are in good enough shape to run on the field again.”

$750
$10000

About the Contributors
Shane McVan
Shane McVan, Sports Editor
Communications senior Shane McVan is the current sports edior and it is his third year on The Muse. He is also the business editor of Seeds Literary Arts Magazine. In his free time, He trains mixed martial arts and loves football. McVan in the future plans on receiving a job in the communication arts department as a sports broadcaster and journalist.
Ryan Freese
Ryan Freese, Sports Staffer
Communications sophomore Ryan Freese works for the Layout and the Sports sections of The Muse. Freese discovered his passion for writing in his 6th grade creative writing class. He later took a liking to journalism during his freshman year. He also takes a digital video production class for his second communications elective. Freese is a varsity member of the cross-country and track and field teams. When school is not in session, he volunteers for Loggerhead Marine Life Center. Outside of school he enjoys fishing with his dad and avoiding work.
$750
$10000