Don’t get in your head before the SAT

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino

The standardized test score: one insignificant number, out of 36, 2400, or 1600, that can change your whole future. Some students spend months working tirelessly through stacks of flashcards and practice tests to secure the elusive perfect score. Others take a more laid-back approach, forgetting about the test until the night before. Nevertheless, for all students, test day is a day full of anticipation and restless energy, but this anxiety about doing well sometimes inhibits us from performing our best. Here are some tips to do the best you can on test day.

1. Treat it like a practice test

I took the SAT for the first time this January. Since the beginning of winter break, I pushed my way through the Official Study Guide for the SAT and did a couple of practice tests, going through each problem slowly. On test day, my nerves pushed me to race through the test at blinding speeds, giving me ample time to check over my work and daydream. Unfortunately, I wasted a lot of energy on unnecessary speed, and by section seven, I was zoning out. Learn from my mistake; keep the same pace you have created during practice tests, and don’t psych yourself out.

1. Pre-test warm up

Doing well on the test doesn’t start when the test proctor says so; it starts 12 hours before. Getting at least eight hours of sleep is a necessity. Although cramming before school tests may have worked in the past, it doesn’t work on these tests. Having a clear, well-rested mind is paramount to reducing mistakes and unlocking hidden brain potential. The tradeoff between shuteye and YouTubing how to do well on the SAT isn’t a one you want to take. Go to sleep on time, wake up early enough to give you a buffer in case of traffic, and make sure to eat a good breakfast (A study by me has proven that bananas are the key to high scores).

1. Test Preparation

It seems that almost everyone has a tutor for the SAT or ACT. However, not having a tutor isn’t the end of the world. The three best ways to get the score you want all start with a ‘P:’ practice, practice, and practice. Understanding how the test works, knowing in which areas you are deficient, and experiencing a real test can vastly improve scores.

When reviewing answers, explain to yourself why you got the question wrong. Pinpoint types of questions you struggle with so you can review them later. When you guess on questions, circle them. This is a great tool to use for when you go back to that question; you will be able to look at the right answer and understand where you got stuck.

1. Test day strategy

Don’t get frustrated at the test maker. I used to blame the test writer for creating two right answers when I couldn’t narrow it down. This was my way of coping. Rather than actually eliminating answers, I had a meltdown in my head. Instead, realize that every wrong answer is a wrong answer for a reason. Look for textual evidence for reading questions. If it isn’t directly supported in the passage, it’s not the right answer. For many math questions, answers can be plugged in without even understanding the question. These shortcuts can help you answer questions you wouldn’t have gotten before.

View Comments (1)
$750
$10000

Michael Wang
Michael Wang, Opinion Editor
Communications senior Michael Wang is the Opinion Editor of The Muse. He loves journalism and appreciates the power it can have on people. Wang loves writing because it makes people think, but his favorite part about it is when the computer crashes. Outside of The Muse, he is the president of the Speech and Debate Team and the Math Honor Society.
$750
$10000

• A

Andrew Van WinkleFeb 29, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Great test-taking strategies. I will have to make sure to have a bunch of bananas ready for test day.
    You guys should check out some cool articles my school newspaper has posted.
    @ http://birdeyenews.forrestbirdcharterschool.org/

Reply