Weighing the pros and cons of New Year’s parties

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino

Just when you think the chaos of the Christmas holiday has ended, plans are being made for exorbitant New Year’s parties. There is something about Americans gathering around a T.V. waiting for a giant ball to drop that makes them want to throw an extravagant party. Before you participate in any of these festivities, however, it may be best to consider the pros and cons.

No New Year’s Eve party would be complete without the array of colorful gunpowder exploding in the sky. If you have a dog who finds these eruptions completely unbearable and barks uncontrollably to make this known to everyone, it may be a plus to go to a party. Sparklers also add to this display as children young and old rush to write words in the sky before the light goes out. As long as you don’t shoot fireworks off your hands like Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson did on this year’s 4th of July holiday, then this should prove to be an exciting way to celebrate the new year.

Before you wait for the clock to strike at 12 a.m., conversations at parties can lead to revelations of everyone’s infamous New Year’s resolutions. Each year brings the promises of new plans or anything from a new outlook on life to a new diet. While the chances of people actually fulfilling these resolutions are relatively slim, a party would give you the chance to give your friends the perception that your life is going to be great when you supposedly do reach these goals. With the possibility that a party may bring you to some friends who you see only once a year at these get-togethers, the opportunity to make them think your life is amazing is always a plus.

However, if you are an introvert like me, this idea of initiating conversation with another person is one of the most dreaded things to ever possibly happen. If you find the prospect of staying home alone with your dog, sheltering him from the explosive chaos of fireworks, much more appealing than having to listen to one’s litany of break ups from the past year, avoid New Year’s Eve parties at all costs. Let’s face it, their problems will probably last as long as their New Year’s resolutions.

On a more serious note, any New Year’s Eve party will inevitably bring an abundance of alcohol in order to have one last hurrah before ringing in the new year. Although everyone has varying perceptions on the consumption of alcohol, I assume that the majority of people don’t want to die on their way home from a New Year’s Eve party. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety revealed that New Year’s Day is the second deadliest day for drivers, according to statistics from 2002 to 2008. While I highly hope that high school kids will not be participating in the consumption of alcohol this night, a lack of sleep from the party can also threaten one’s safety while driving. It may be smart to think about how you will be transported home before you get caught up in the New Year’s excitement.

While I prefer watching the ball drop from the comfort of my own home on New Year’s Eve, some will always get swept away in the lavish celebrations. However, If you are considering going to a party this year, understand what you are getting yourself into first.