• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

Best and worst last-minute Christmas gifts

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino

Each and every year shoppers all around the country try to avoid last-minute Christmas shopping. Despite this, even days before Christmas, malls are packed to the brim with desperate shoppers. Here are the best and the worst last-minute Christmas gifts.

Best

• Concert tickets – If you have the money to spend, this is the way to go. Concerts offer a memorable experience that is worth far more than the happiness a material object could ever bring. They show you care about their music taste and can be bought, printed, packaged, and gifted in a matter of minutes.
  • Food – As long as it is not a fruitcake, you are probably okay because if there is one thing everyone enjoys, it is food. You can’t go wrong with holiday cookies because they are cheap, easy to make, and most importantly, festive.
  • Gift cards –  There is a gift card for every type of person. That’s what makes them so great. It allows people to choose exactly what they want while being a much more considerate alternative to cash which requires no thought whatsoever. A quick stop to nearly any convenience store will provide all the gift cards you will ever need.

Worst

• Candles – A candle is quite possibly the most thoughtless of all gifts. The gift of a candle not only shows the recipient their house smells, but it’s a clear sign you made a last-second trip to Walgreens under a measly $15 budget. Otherwise, it’s a great idea to get yourself kicked out of a Secret Santa gift exchange.
  • Plants – If there is one thing people do not want during the holidays, it is another responsibility. The instant reaction when receiving a plant comes with bitterness and disdain. Do not be fooled, they will always say they “love it,” when in fact they are lying through their teeth. A plant, no matter how beautiful, is an inconvenience. The humility of gifting a plant luckily wouldn’t last too long however as the plants would surely die a matter of months.
  • Gag gifts – Unless you have something in mind that is innovative and funny, keep the gag gifts on the store shelf where they belong. A bag of chocolate coal is not creative nor is it even remotely funny. Purchasing higher-quality chocolate like Dove or Godiva is always a better option. With a gag gift you can only expect a pity chuckle and nothing more.
  • A meaningful card (and nothing else) – Sympathetic cards are nice if it’s wishing someone to get-well or for a marriage but that’s about it. When opening a Christmas card there’s always more to be expected. Whether it be a gift card or extra cash, anything is better than just a boring card.

As Christmas comes closer with each passing day, keep the best gifts in mind when the struggle of last-minute shopping strikes. You won’t want to be left buying one of these terrible gifts that show you truly waited until the last minute.