• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

[BRIEF] ‘Young, Gifted, and Black.’

The Black Student Union (BSU) celebrated the achievements of Black students at the first BSU Black Entertainment Television (BET) Awards
Jason Monaco
For the first time on campus, the Black Student Union (BSU) hosts their own spin on the Black Entertainment Television (BET) awards. This ceremony commemorates Black students on campus in categories regarding arts, academics, and representing the student body.

The media center buzzed with excitement as co-hosts communications senior James McIntyre and dance junior Trinity Smoot Ford approached the “stage” to start the awards ceremony. 

The BET Awards describes the event as “an epic celebration of Black culture featuring your favorite artists from film, television, music, literature and more,” and it has been a staple in American culture since 2001. This year, BSU members nominated other members of the club who are “young, gifted, and Black,” as communications junior Josiah Manners said. 

“In my eyes, you’re all winners,” McIntyre said at the start of the ceremony. “Without further ado, let’s get into the awards.” 

Most Likely to Go D-1 Award: dance senior Jonelle Brinkley, vocal junior Zidane Guerrier, and dance junior Emily Gonzalez.

Jason Monaco

Theatre Excellence Award: theatre freshman Kevontay Oliver.

Jason Monaco

Best Dressed Award: communications junior Nyanjah Charles.

Jason Monaco

Creativity Award: visual sophomore Taniyah Aris.

Jason Monaco

Black Excellence Award (this award is for those with an overall good character who show up for the arts): communications junior Josiah Manners.