[BRIEF] First SAC Meeting of the 2022-2023 School Year

The School Advisory Council held a meeting amongst administration, parents, and SGA members on August 17th.

Ellie Symons

Members of the School Advisory Council (SAC) listen in as SGA Co-Historian and dance senior Jonelle Brinkley explains the progress the athletic department has made for the 2022-23 school year. She shared a list of the recent varsity sports activities, including team tryouts and upcoming schedules for the cross-country and swim teams.

Ellie Symons, Writer

The School Advisory Council (SAC) met in the media center, discussing plans for the upcoming months and receiving updates from each art department.  The SAC meeting went from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

The 26 attendees consisted of administration, SGA members, student athletes, School of the Arts Foundation Inc. (SOAFI) CEO Chris Snyder, and social studies teacher and chair Sarah Ray.

Thousands of dollars were approved at the meeting for the English department to purchase annual subscriptions for Upfront Magazines and Membean. The voting chairs were introduced to the School Improvement Plan (SIP), the state-required yearly plan made by administration that sets tangible goals based on past years’ analytics.

Meeting Information

• The School District is undergoing the accreditation process. To get approved, the school must submit evidence of how we do things “differently” from traditional high schools. To help the school gather feedback, fill out this survey.
  • This year is the School of the Arts Foundation’s thirtieth anniversary.

Dates Discussed

• Aug. 25 – Freshman Class Council Elections 
  • Aug. 30 – Parent Open House with additional parking available at the Kravis Center parking garage
  • Sept. 9 – Club Rush
  • Sept. 15 – First Visual and Digital Exhibition of the Year
  • Sept. 12 – Senior Night
  • Sept. 23 – Dance Senior Solo Showcase in the Brandt Black Box Theater
  • Nov. 14 – SOAFI College and Summer Institution Scholarships Applications Open
  • Dec. 6 – Prism at The Kravis Center