Forming a New Tradition

SGA organized Dreyfoos’ first Winter Formal
  • Laughing with friends, band freshman Van Grzybek (center left) dances at the Jan. 21 Winter Formal. This was Dreyfoos’ first winter formal, and the Student Government Association (SGA) hopes it’ll become an annual event. “People really enjoyed themselves, and I think it’s really nice for people to have a ‘homecoming’ type of dance,” said SGA President and strings senior Sofia Plaza.

• Theatre sophomore George Bostic spends time on the dance floor in the gym. He won Winter Formal Royalty later in the evening. “I wasn’t even sure if I should put my name in the running for the formal, but I told myself, ‘This is the first ever Winter Formal at Dreyfoos,’” Bostic said.

• Digital sophomore Leah Gonzalez (left) and dance sophomore Addison Gedeon (right) sing to each other as music plays. Students contributed to the music choices by submitting to SGA’s “do-not-play list” in the cafeteria.

• Visual junior Cherise Hightower’s dress shines under the lights as she dances. Leading up to the dance, class councils shared Winter Formal inspiration boards on social media platforms, giving students ideas for what to wear.

• Communications freshman Gavin Murray dances with friends as lights spin across the gym. In preparation for the dance, SGA hired decorators to set up decorations and lights, including those on the dance floor. “We started the planning months ago. We did a walk through of the school, picked linens, and discussed lighting,” junior class council co-president and communications junior Cloe Barrau said. “(On) the actual day of the setup, we were lucky to have her (the decorator’s) crew do most of the heavy lifting.”