• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

APPLYING TO COLLEGE? HERE ARE THE SCHOOL RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO YOU

Amanda Cohen

As college applications go live and admission deadlines inch closer, there are many resources available for those involved in the application process, including college fairs, university visits, “coffee talks,” and application bootcamps. Look below for our guide to upcoming opportunities and resource centers. 

PTSO College Fair 2019

This is a major event that showcases different university options. This event is scheduled for Oct. 18 from 5–8 p.m. in the gym and will showcase schools like the University of Florida, Tulane University, Pennsylvania State University, and more than 100 other colleges. For a complete list of attending schools, click here

“Coffee Talks”

Another program is the guidance department’s coffee talks, aimed at informing parents about the general admissions process. They have discussed both the college selection and application process as well as financial aid resources available. To view their PowerPoint presentations and get more information, click here for the college selection and application process lecture and here for more financial aid information.  

ACT/ SAT Prep

Even if it isn’t a student’s senior year, it is never too early to start preparing for college. An integral part of this process is how students prepare for the ACT and SAT standardized tests. The PTSO has posted about Revolution Prep, an online resource that helps students get ready for these tests. For students deciding to decide which test is right for them, here are the key differences between the two: 

• The ACT has a science section, while the SAT does not.
  • On the SAT there are two math sections, one with a calculator and one without. On the ACT there is only one math section, which a calculator can be used on. 
  • The SAT allows for more time per question.

College Visit Schedule 

Students who have already taken advantage of these college visit programs describe positive and helpful experiences. 

“Being able to be in [a] small environment with a Johns Hopkins representative who is super familiar with how our school works is super beneficial,” communications senior Ali Hussain said. “It’s a great opportunity for students who don’t have the opportunity to go out [to the schools].” Not only do these visits aid in providing an alternative to on-campus visits, but they also help with the general decision-making process.

“I went to a bunch of college visits last year [at Dreyfoos],” visual senior Ana-Gabriella Thomidis said. “They really helped me rule out [schools]. To be honest, visiting colleges is really expensive. So when they [can] come to us and give us their spiel, it really helps narrow down our list.”  

To attend one of these visits, register on Naviance.   

Date University Time Place Grade levels allowed to attend Registration deadline
9/24/19 Binghamton University 9:00 AM Media Center 11th, 12th 9/23/19 by 9:00 AM
9/25/19 Florida International University 9:00 AM Media Center All 9/24/19 by 11:00 AM
9/26/19 Florida A&M University 11:00 AM Media Center 11th, 12th 9/25/19 by 11:00 AM
9/27/19 Florida Gulf Coast University 11:00 AM Media Center 11th, 12th 9/26/19 by 11:00 AM
9/27/19 University of Central Florida 11:20 AM Media Center All Don’t need to register 
9/27/19 Washington and Lee University  2:00 PM  Media Center All 9/27/19 by 4:00 AM
10/1/19 Florida State University 9:00 AM Media Center 11th, 12th 9/30/19 by 9:00 AM
10/2/19 Brown University 9:00 AM Media Center 11th, 12th 10/1/19 by 11:00 AM
10/2/19 Belmont University  10:00 AM Media Center All 10/2/19 by 12:00 PM
10/2/19 Hofstra University  11:20 AM Media Center All Don’t need to register 
10/2/19 Elon University  2:00 PM Media Center All 10/2/19 by 4:00 AM
10/4/19 The University of Alabama 11:20 AM Media Center All Don’t need to register 

Additional helpful resources:

Mr. Mark Carson – School Counselor

561-802-6014

[email protected]

10th – 12th Visual Art, Digital Media 

Mrs. Olga K. Middleton – Director

561-802-6010

[email protected]

10th -12th Keys, Strings, Vocal, Band

Mrs. Georgia Mounce – School Counselor

561-802-6008

[email protected]

10th – 12th Dance

Mrs. Rachelle Nicholas – School Counselor 

561-802-6022

[email protected]

10th -12th Communications & Theatre

Ms. Laura Tomasello – School Counselor

561-802-6009

[email protected]

9th grade

Mr. Brian Ross- College Advisor

561-504-1199

[email protected]

All grades