Freshmen Hill Art Sale

Photo by Lorenzo Romano
Digital media junior Sara Green sits with digital senior Austin Wilk at the Freshman Hill art sale on Friday, March 4. Wilk sold stickers printed with his own design for 50 cents each.

Trees sway in the breeze, laughter fills the air, and varying, colors, patterns, and designs stretch as far as the eye can see. On March 4 during lunch, students of every major and grade came together to sell their artwork under the Banyan tree of freshmen hill. The merchandise consisted of everything from baked goods to clothing items to succulents.

“I feel like this event would never happen at a ‘normal’ school,” visual sophomore Ben Little said. “Everyone knows that we have such a diverse student body, and it’s interesting to see all of them gather in one place to promote their work. It creates this great environment of creativity and individuality.”

Although the art sale is sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA), the event is almost entirely student-run and all the proceeds go directly to the artists themselves. Furthermore, there’s no rhyme or rhythm to it–any student is able to lay out a blanket and sell their merchandise.

“What I like most about the art sale is that it’s a great way to support your classmates and see their work,” communications senior Tiffany Abreu said. “Knowing the proceeds go directly to helping them make more art is such a great feeling. Not to mention the stickers are super cute.”

The art sale is a golden opportunity for visual majors. Not only do they have the chance to receive recognition and acclaim for their artwork, but they also have the potential to earn a substantial profit.

“Ever since I was a freshman, I’ve been selling cupcakes at every art sale for $1 each, and I usually make at least $100,” visual senior Madison Mcgrinn said. “It takes about 3 hours to make all the batches, but I don’t mind because it’s so fun to decorate them with sprinkles or buttercream icing or chocolate glaze.”

Believe it or not, the art sale is a regular occurrence at Dreyfoos. Word of the event spreads primarily by mouth, creating an air of excitement and fervor within the Dreyfoos community.

“Every time I hear there’s going to be an art sale, I get so excited,” communications senior Destiny Washington said. “I always walk away with armfuls of goods and a huge grin on my face. It’s one of my favorite aspects of being a Dreyfoos student. ”