Students go bald for St. Baldrick’s

• Piano freshman Annemarie Gerlach smiles widely after cutting off multiple inches for St. Baldrick’s.

• Theatre senior Tiffany Bucknor performs a poem written by her sister, who was diagnosed with a form of lung cancer, about her struggles with the illness.

• Visual junior and St. Baldrick’s Club president Dalton Taylor gets his head shaved to show solidarity for child cancer patients who suffer from hair loss due to cancer treatments.

• Communications sophomore Ariel Gordon smiles while holding up her donated hair.

• Communications senior Nyna Van Eps has her hair shaken out after cutting off multiple inches.

• Communications sophomore Garret O’Donnel grins as the barber finishes shaving his head.

• Theatre junior Katie Wilhoit clenches her teeth in suspense while her hair is cut.

• Theatre sophomore Evan Kwon shaves his head to raise awareness for childhood cancer at St.Baldrick’s shaving and fundraising event. The club raised over $7,500 for kids battling cancer.

• Digital media sophomore Sofia Beira stares in awe at the hair she cut off.

• Math teacher Christopher Coombs (left) and school counselor Mark Carson pose for photos after shaving their heads.

Digital media junior Missy Muilenburg emerges from the crowd, her heart pounding. She walks to the center of the gym, sucks in a deep breath, and grits her teeth as strands of long brown hair fall to the floor. Muilenburg has just committed to shaving her head in support of those with childhood cancer–and she’s not the only one vying for the cause.

On Feb. 12th, students of all majors and grade levels congregated in the gym for the annual awareness event hosted by Dreyfoos’ St. Baldrick’s club. Students were able to donate money, volunteer, or even shave their head to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer.

“I am so proud that we’re able to host this event and support such a worthy cause,” visual junior and St. Baldrick’s president Dalton Taylor said. “It’s heart-warming to see all of our students join together in the fight against such a horrible disease. It gives me hope for the future and that we’ll be able to develop a cure someday.”

Between the roaring of the crowd, the sound of shuffling footsteps, and the student-run band Jumbo Shrimp performing live music, there was hardly a quiet moment.

That is until vocal junior and cancer survivor Hailey Kennedy took to the stage, sharing her battle with leukemia and pledging her support for those shaving their heads. The gym was dead silent as Kennedy sung “Turning Tables” by Adele to commemorate her friend Miguel, who is losing a fight with cancer.

“Her voice was absolutely mesmerizing,” communications sophomore Nia Michel said. “It conveyed all the emotions [Kennedy] experienced better than words ever could.”

In addition, theatre senior Tiffany Bucknor captivated the audience when she shared a poem written by her sister, who was diagnosed with a form of lung cancer. Among the poem’s lines were: “My hair will grow back and my cells will regenerate, but I’m afraid my mind will never heal. After all, the mind can’t put on a cast.”

Additionally, several students and faculty volunteered to shave or cut their hair to show that bald truly is beautiful. Among the faculty who shaved their head were school counselor Mark Carson, math teacher Christopher Coombs, and theatre teacher Bradley Barfield. Among the students was communications sophomore Dani Cuestas, theatre sophomore Evan Kwon, and band junior Tommy Gallagher.

“The more people that shave their heads, the stronger the message that baldness is not something to be ashamed about,” said Muilenburg. “On the contrary, it displays internal strength and courage, which is way more beautiful than outward appearance.”

In honor of the event, students spent weeks making decorations that transformed the gym into a beautiful green landscape. The entrance was flanked by an enormous archway made of green and white balloons, green streamers draped from the ceiling, and massive four-leaf clovers were strewn about the room.

“The whole process of preparing for the event was very stressful,” said Taylor. “It took a lot of time and energy on behalf of the foundation. But the payoff is so worth it, because we’re raising money and awareness to help cure an illness that has taken so much from so many.”

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation raised about $8,000 from the event, which will all go towards research for childhood cancer.