Cultural club presidents host some of their last Multicultural Show, inspiring underclassmen to represent their cultures and leaving the future shows in the underclassmen’s hands

The lights of Meyer Hall dim as spotlights shine down on six figures standing before the curtains wearing their respective cultural clothing. After giving an opening speech, they begin to walk backstage, leaving their legacy and footprints behind.

On the final day of Spirit Week, the Black Student Union (BSU), Asian Cultural Society (ACS), Jewish Student Union (JSU), and Latin Hispanic Heritage Club (LHHC) hosted the annual Multicultural Show after the Pep Rally. This show aims to bring together students from all different cultures together to represent their backgrounds in one event. However, this year marked the last Multicultural Show many of the club presidents will be participating in, as most of them are graduating seniors. 

This year was the first year some of the cultural club presidents were hosting the Multicultural Show. This was the case for ACS co-president and visual senior Kaitlyn Chen. Last year, Chen participated in organizing the Multicultural Show and experienced new elements of the organization — from auditions to rehearsals — as a president.

“It’s a lot of firsts, but it’s also a lot of nostalgia,” Chen said. “I’ve always been the one in the audience (or) the one watching the show, and watching it come together behind the scenes has been really rewarding.”

Nicolle Forestieri

Bollyfuse co-president and communications senior Sanjana Gupta is saddened by her last time participating in the Multicultural Show after being in it for many years, as she says it is one of her favorite parts of the year that showcases her school spirit and culture.

“I really want (people) to know that Bollywood dance isn’t something you need to stop other people from doing,” Gupta said. “It’s a place in time to show everyone (the dance), and it’s really important that you show the grace and the steps to the dance and just enjoy yourself.”

Nicolle Forestieri 

For students like communications freshman Mabruk Alam, who are witnessing the Multicultural Show for the first time, the performances allow them to connect with other cultures as well as their own. Alam shares how watching “new” and “unique” performances from Asian cultures aligned with his identity.

“I loved every single act of it, and I resonated most with Bollyfuse being a South Asian myself,” Alam said. “It’s the first time in school I’ve seen something part of my culture, so it’s really an opening feeling, (and) makes you feel seen.” 

Nicolle Forestieri (Nicolle Forestieri)

Watching the Multicultural Show has encouraged students, such as communications freshman Charisma Culmer, to participate in next year’s show as she expresses that it can be difficult for her to connect with her Caribbean and Black heritage. This year’s performance has helped to reconnect her to her culture.

“I hope (to perform next year). I want to experience (being a part of the show) and work with all these people. I don’t want to just see it from the outside, I want to be a part of it and watch the final product.”

Nicolle Forestieri