The Return of Field Day

Field Day’s revival in Spirit Week after not being held the previous year
Sadie Kanter
Slamming the dunk button, administrator Belinda Castillo drops math teacher Craig Adams into the water. The dunk tank was an SGA fundraiser, featuring several other teachers including social studies teacher Ross Vening and assistant principal William Clark.

Crowds gather on the field, while the song “Love” by Keyshia Cole plays in the background. Some students cheer for different teachers getting dunked into a vat of water, while other students spread out across the field racing each other in sacks or taking pictures together.

Last year, SGA and Class Council decided to exclude Field Day from the list of activities for Spirit Week, since last year’s Spirit Week was from Friday, March 10 to Thursday, March 16 since the week was only four days long. Field Day occurred again this year March 11 during lunch on the field. For this year’s Field Day, SGA and the Class Councils included more carnival-style games like sack racing, cornhole, and a dunk tank which allowed students to have a chance at dunking their teachers in water for five dollars. 

“We (my friends and I) took lots of pictures, got Kona Ice, and played some of the games,” communications sophomore Victoria McGovern said. “It was definitely a memorable one (day) for sure.”

Hopping across the field, visual freshmen Chase Piesco and Chloe Robins race each other to the finish line in sacks. Sack racing was one of several games students could participate in for spirit week points. (Sadie Kanter)

After Field Day’s year-long hiatus, SGA and the Class Councils decided to reinstate the activity and introduce new activities like soccer and the dunk tank while discontinuing games such as tug of war. Students were able to participate in these games while also having the opportunity to receive a ticket to get Kona Ice. 

“I think (having) Field Day back is great because it is part of Spirit Week tradition, and I am pretty excited since SGA is bringing more activities (to the day),” junior Class Council co-president and visual junior Rebecca Chen said.

Because the Field Day games were more individual this year, and didn’t have games that involved the participation of the grades. Students such as communications freshman Charisma Culmer wish that Field Day included more unifying activities.

“I hope that next year there’s more games at Field Day,” Culmer said. “I feel like (if we had) a bigger activity, then more people could be involved, going against the grade levels, (while) connecting all of the grades together.”

Field Day can also have a nostalgic factor to it. For sophomores, this was the first year participating in this event since Field Day was not a part of Spirit Week last year.

Visual sophomore Emily Ding prepares to throw her last ball at the dunk tank.
(Sadie Kanter)

“It’s the first time I’ve ever experienced Field Day at Dreyfoos,” communications sophomore Ava Fiala said. “I’m excited because I haven’t done Field Day since elementary school, and it brings back a lot of fun memories.”