Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon Review

Official image released by Nintendo

Let me make something clear: I am obsessed with Pokemon. When I’m not spending 99 percent of my time playing Pokemon video games, I am watching Pokemon, thinking about Pokemon, and while I’m sleeping, I am dreaming about Pokemon. Don’t take it lightly when I say that the Nintendo 3DS games Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, which were released on Nov. 18, are the best products Pokemon has ever created. With the use of beautiful visuals and music, memorable characters, and a shake-up of the classic Pokemon formula that still maintains the highlights of the franchise, both Sun and Moon offer the ultimate adventure for new and veteran trainers.

From the moment the game is loaded up, it’s clear that the visuals are astounding. The region is based off Hawaii; the graphics make full use of the island’s aesthetic. Game backgrounds include picturesque beaches, lush jungles, and dazzling sunsets. In generation six, top-down sprites were shrunken, but now all humans are full size. The Pokemon are gorgeously rendered, each possessing fluid animation. Many generation seven Pokemon have fascinating designs, like Decidueye, a hooded Grass and Ghost archery owl designed after Robin Hood. There are also creative locations such as a seaside village, which is composed of Pokemon-shaped boats and an abandoned supermarket haunted by Ghost types in the Alola region. Another artistic aspect of Sun and Moon is its gorgeously composed music. Memorable songs such as the themes for Team Skull and Guzma utilize hip-hop elements, and some even incorporate rap. Other songs such as the soothing Ten Carat Hill theme keep classic orchestral elements the Pokemon soundtrack is known for.

It is difficult to pick the best part of a game where every aspect is great, but one cannot deny that the characterization is excellent. Hau, an adorable malasada-loving rival, brightens up the screen with his mere presence. Lillie and Gladion, two personal favorites of mine, are characters cloaked in mystery, and the way their backstory unfolds will captivate players. Unlike past iterations of Pokemon, the Trial Captains (the new Gym Leaders) have vast amounts of personality. For example, the Water type Trial Captain Lana loves to make up tall tales to trick the player. The antagonistic organization Team Skull provides a goofy element that makes the game have the perfect balance of light-heartedness and intensity.

What really makes Sun and Moon stand out from the vast multitude of Pokemon games is that it feels fresh. Instead of battling Gym Leaders like in the past, players engage in minigames with Trial Captains, such as an audio quiz identifying Pokemon cries. Z-moves let players power up all Pokemon, even underused ones. This is a step-up from the gimmick of last generation, Mega Evolutions, where only select favorites got a special form. For the sake of keeping this review spoiler free, I won’t delve into the plotline, but it is unlike any other game. With the Care feature, players can now brush and blow-dry their Pokemon, making the bond with the creatures feel more real. The level of detail placed in the game brings the fictional universe to life, and there are constant references to darker issues such as death and predation in the Pokemon world, topics only briefly mentioned in previous games.

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are some of the best games I have had the pleasure of playing. With amazing graphics and a strong soundtrack, lovable characters, and a new outlook to the series, these titles deserve a place in anyone’s 3DS slot.