Subculture wall brings community together

Communications+junior+Hannah+Dunn+lounges+with+a+cup+of+coffee+next+to+the+newly+painted+mural+at+Subculture+Coffee.+It+is+located+on+509+Clematis+Street%2C+just+several+blocks+away+from+school.+
Photo courtesy of Hannah Dunn
Communications junior Hannah Dunn lounges with a cup of coffee next to the newly painted mural at Subculture Coffee. It is located on 509 Clematis Street, just several blocks away from school.

Subculture Coffee, located on 509 Clematis Street, is home to a mixture of students, young professionals, and upscale vacationers. It provides a quaint atmosphere with things like board games and interior and exterior decorations, one being a full size outdoor mural of Albert Einstein clad in sandals and a collared shirt. This colorful mural, painted by Brazilian street artist Eduardo Kobra, has completely transformed Subculture’s accompanying alleyway into a bright and eye-catching hangout.

The alleyway is striking with its hanging fairy lights and rustic seating arrangements as well. It is also home to various community events like the monthly events such as Tacos and Hip Hop, an old school party vibe with taco trucks and local hip hop music, and occasional early morning yoga classes. The goal for Subculture Coffee is to unite our community while providing an atmosphere different from all else.