• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Hitting chords at Choral Camp

Photo courtesy of Alexa Burnston
Vocal juniors Sarah Haughn (second from left) and Alexa Burnston (middle) pose with their newfound friends at FSU Choral Ensemble Camp in Tallahassee, Florida. “It was an amazing experience,” said Burnston. “For a week, I feel like I truly got to live the life of a college student, minus the academic pressure and lack of money.”

For most high school students, exploring a vast college campus teeming with student life, meeting people all throughout the country with similar interests and pastimes, and learning from seasoned college professors is just a faraway dream. This summer from June 12-18, that dream came true for vocal juniors Alexa Burnston and Sarah Haughn, who attended Choral Ensemble Camp at Florida State University.

“The [Choral Ensemble Camp] was one of the greatest experiences of my life when it comes to music,” Haughn said. “I was able to truly immerse myself in a college environment. I learned to become a much more spirited singer; that there’s much more to music than just the technical aspects, such as showing emotion when you’re singing and to have extensive knowledge of what you’re singing about.”

Designed for students in grades 10-12, the campers received a schedule with mandatory choral classes that included mixed chorus, women’s chorus, and men’s chorus. To ensure that each camper didn’t have the same schedule, the students were able to choose two elective classes, which ranged from diction classes to solo courses.

“What I loved about the camp was that I learned about many different aspects of choral singing,” Haughn said. “Due to the diversity of the course selection, I even discovered new passions that I never would’ve pursued otherwise, such as conducting.”

The campers did everything together, from rehearsing their pieces to visiting local attractions such as SkyZone. As a result, campers were able to bond with people nationwide who shared similar interests, hobbies, and passions.

“Going in, I wasn’t sure what to expect,” Burnston said. “Sarah and I made so many friends on the first day alone. You spend so much time with your peers; you sing together, you room together, you perform together. I found I have a lot in common with them, both personally and professionally, and I formed this bond with my campmates that won’t fade anytime soon.”

The last day of camp featured two final concerts, in which friends, parents, and loved ones were able to witness all that the campers’ had learned from their time at FSU. The performance incorporated classic songs such as “Saints Go Marchin,’” by Kevin Berg and “Julia” by The Beatles.

“During both concerts, I had some of the most fun I’ve ever had while performing,” Haughn said. “I really felt like I was singing just for fun rather than for a grade or to advance my professional career. I loved all of the music and the instructors really encouraged us to express ourselves while we were singing.”