• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Theatre students tell “The Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs”

• Theater sophomores Maddy Stillman (L-R), Lexi McCain, junior Nia Bourne, sophomore Chase Rook and Madison Burmeister, freshman Olivia Troast, juniors Michael Joseph and Jay Jennings, senior Grace Wess, and freshman Danielle Goldfine stand on the stage in a declaration of friendship and unity. After being displaced from their respective stories, the characters come together in the end and plan their futures together.

• Theater sophomore Maddy Stillman (L-R), freshmen Mikayla McInnis and Danielle Goldfine, and juniors Michael Joseph and Brittany Seville in the opening scene of the “Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs.” The 3 pigs are leaving their mother’s home and going out into the wide, wide world to seek a great fortune.

• Theater sophomores Chase Rook (L-R), Lexi McCain, Maddy Stillman, Madison Burmeister, and junior Nia Bourne get displaced from their stories. Goldilocks (Bourne) declares that she plans to help the 3 billy goats, offering them solace and hope in a time of despair.

Once upon a time, three little pigs left their mother’s house and went out into the wide world to seek a grand fortune. Similarly, three billy goats gruff aimed to cross a bridge to reach the wondrous green grass on the other side. Meanwhile, 3 bears wanted nothing more than to return to the comfort of their own home.

We all know how these stories play out–or then again, maybe not.

“The Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs,” held on April 2, 9, 16, and 30, gives new meaning to a classic story. In a twist on a typical children’s tale, the characters decide to change their fate and abandon their respective stories.

Theater freshman Danielle Goldfire (L-R), junior Michael Joseph, and freshman Mikayla McInnis play the three little pigs. They disclose that they plan to build three houses: one of straw, one of sticks, and one of stone.
Photo by Ashley Brundage

“It’s definitely different, but that’s what I like about it,” theater sophomore Chase Rook said, who played the Middle Billy Goat. “I auditioned for the show in the first place because I thought the concept of the show was so different and original. I haven’t regretted my decision for an instant; I love the costumes, the audience, the cast members, and the plot.”

The production was specifically targeted toward young children. Therefore, the audience was packed with little kids; their wide eyes glued to the stage as they became engaged in the storyline and the characters.

“I’ve never had so much fun putting on a production,” theater sophomore Madison Burmiester said. “I think the kids in the audience really liked it; they were laughing, singing, and dancing with us – and that absolutely melted my heart.”

Furthermore, extensive preparation went into organizing the play, which was director Marcie Gorman’s last show of the year.The stage crew had to create three different sets to accompany the three stories; the costume crew designed the costumes for each and every cast member; and the makeup crew spent hours painting snouts, spots, and fur on the cast to feign an animal-like appearance.

“Preparing for the play required a lot of patience, time, and dedication,” theater senior Zak Biggins said. “We spent weeks building and painting the sets, and we worked up until the day before the show. We also had to take down the set and put it up again every Saturday for four weeks. But just like with every production, the satisfaction you get from your finished work is worth every bit of effort.”

In “The Surprising Story of the 3 Little Pigs,” the 3 billy goats gruff, the 3 little pigs, and the 3 bears come face to face with the 3 villains of the story–the troll, the wolf, and Goldilocks. Initially, this unexpected plot change culminates in chaos and disaster as characters become displaced and leave the narrator and the stage crew running around in dismay.

Theater juniors Meikel Benjamin (left) and Jay Jennings get thrown into the same story. The wolf reveals that he’s a friend of Goldilocks, which prompts Papa Bear to respond with anger and hostility--as Goldilocks is a troublemaker who consistently wrecks his yard.
Photo by Ashley Brundage
Theater juniors Meikel Benjamin (left) and Jay Jennings get thrown into the same story. The wolf reveals that he’s a friend of Goldilocks, which prompts Papa Bear to respond with anger and hostility–as Goldilocks is a troublemaker who consistently wrecks his yard.

However, the show ultimately ended with the traditional happy ever after–with all the characters taking to the stage, embracing their new friends and reflecting on their individual growth. The characters then engaged in an epic dance party, encouraging the audience members to join in.

“The dance party at the end was my favorite part,” theater junior Michael Joseph said. “I loved grabbing little kids from the audience and bringing them onstage. Their smiles and the surprise on their parents’ faces made my day. I’ve been in a lot of shows over the years, but it’s not often that we get to interact with our audience so personally.”

Essentially, the“Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs” proves that traditional fairy tales are overrated, and that, if we have try hard enough, we can alter our fate.