• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Vocal students shine at annual Pops Concert

• Vocal majors perform a cheerful rendition of “Always Look on The Brightside of Life,” bringing a smile to the spectators’ faces.

• The Pops Concert begins with a rendition of “Look on the Bright Side of Life,” with vocal majors performing a 60s inspired dance routine that they’d practiced for weeks.

• The crowd went wild as male vocal majors performed the “Conga Rhythm,” dressed in typical Hawaiian shirts and flower lea’s.

• Vocal majors sing “Angel Eyes” at the Pops Concert while performing a group dance routine.

• Vocal majors perform “It’s Raining Men,” with the vocalists being lead by sophomore Tatiana Tuck.

Vocal sophomore Ashlyn Taylor watches backstage as her peers sing, dance, and play instruments on the stage of Meyer Hall. Her mind races with the possibilities of everything that could go wrong, but as she takes to the stage, she belts out all the notes she’d memorized for “Something’s Coming Tonight,” and her feet take over, performing the dance routine she’d practiced over and over for weeks.

Taylor was performing for the annual Pops Concert, which took place on April 12 in Meyer Hall. The concert featured vocal majors singing hit songs that have been prevalent throughout the decades, such as “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Angel Eyes,” and “It’s Raining Men.”

“I had so much fun up there; I couldn’t stop smiling for hours afterwards,” said vocal sophomore Ashlyn Taylor. “I know this sounds really cliche, but I feel like I have a renewed appreciation and love for music.”

The vocal performances were punctuated by acts from band majors who performed songs such as the iconic “Star Wars” theme. The concert also featured a French Horn ensemble, a Brass ensemble, and a Jazz Duet.

“I was so nervous,” said band sophomore Kyle Virtue, who played the tuba in the “Star Wars” Medley. “But [band director Evan] Rogovin is incredible, and he really helped prepare us for the performance. Now that the concert’s over, I’m proud of myself and all the other participants for giving such dedication and coming together to put on a great concert.”

Furthermore, the concert was more than just singing and playing instruments. The artists performed dance routines that complimented their harmonies and created a fun, lighthearted atmosphere. However, the concert involved rigorous preparation, as the artists rehearsed for weeks to perfect their vocals and to nail their dance routines.

“Weeks before the concert, we start learning the music,” said vocal junior Kyle Watson. “About a week or two after that, Mr. Lewis, our choreographer, comes in and teaches us dances to go along with the songs. The final bit before the concert, we rehearse in the Dance Building and nonstop drill our songs.”

Students also had the opportunity to assemble their own ensembles, practice a song in their free time, and audition for a number in the concert. One of these student-run performances was the Barbershop Quartet, featuring vocal senior Julian Frias, vocal junior Michael Martin, and vocal sophomores Samuel Point du Jour and James Ulaszek.

“Honestly, the Barbershop was definitely my favorite part of the whole show,” said Watson. “I love the close harmonies in men’s voices, and I thought the performance flowed very smoothly.”