Carnation Craze

“Seeds” Delivers Almost 1000 Flowers For Valentine’s day
Photo by Jade Lenkersdorf
Communications senior Zahariah Leggett organizes carnations for the “Seeds” Valentine’s Day flower delivery. “[Students] should buy [carnations] because they’re cheap gifts to buy for all of their friends on Valentine’s Day. It also supports the annual publication of ‘Seeds,’” “Seeds” Editor-in-Chief and communications senior Taylor Spruce said.

Forget roses that are red, or violets that are blue, this Valentine’s Day, there was only one flower to pay attention to. After weeks of advertising and collecting money, the Dreyfoos literary magazine “Seeds” delivered 950 carnations to students and teachers on Feb. 12.

“It’s chaotic,” “Seeds” Editor-in-Chief and communications senior Taylor Spruce said. “We sell carnations during lunch and our classes, and we turn in all the money and tags to the fundraising committee, who organizes the tags into buildings [and delivers them] based on the third hour written on the tag.”

The flowers were sold for a dollar each, and they came in a multitude of colors. The carnations were donated by flower shops who wanted to assist the publication, and “Seeds” staff members dedicated their morning to visiting shops across Palm Beach, tagging each flower, and organizing the flowers by building number.

“Seeds flower distribution starts at the message the [carnation] buyer writes on the tag. Using a student locater, we find out the recipient’s third and fourth hour if the buyer didn’t include it,” “Seeds” Co-Submissions Editor and communications senior Lauren Punales said. “The carnations are organized by building and floor, and the ‘Seeds’ staff delivers them to the recipients’ classrooms.”

The carnation sale is the biggest “Seeds” fundraiser of the year, and each flower sale supported the annual publication of the literary magazine.

“I’m really proud of the “Seeds” staff for handling this fundraiser with such organization and fluency,” Spruce said. “Everyone did such a great job this year we had no mistakes. Nine-hundred-fifty carnations is the most we have ever sold.”