Florida State Fair Portfolio Competition

Art courtesy of Catherine Chen
Visual senior Catherine Chen’s illustration was part of the portfolio she submitted to the Florida State Fair Competition and received first place. “I feel that this is another opportunity to display my work, and I learned that it’s good to always submit your artwork,” Chen said. “You never know whether the judges will like it or not, but go ahead and give it a try, even if you’re competing against hundreds of others.”

In the midst of college applications and enjoying their last few months as high schoolers, Dreyfoos visual and digital media seniors are competing in the Florida State Fair’s Art Portfolio Contest in Tampa. All visual and digital media seniors were required to compete.

“We’ve always made [the contest] a requirement for seniors, just like we do with YoungArts,” visual dean Lacey Van Reeth said. “This competition is a lot like YoungArts, but instead of being national it’s just state-wide.”

The students were required to mail in their portfolios to the state fair for the contest prior to winter break.

“To compete, we had to put eight works or images onto a CD, fill out a form with the title and size of each image, and put it all in a folder submitted to the state fair,” visual senior Catherine Chen said.

Chen was awarded first place in the contest out of the thirty-two finalists, thirteen of which are Dreyfoos seniors.

“There is a total of $10,000 in scholarships,” Ms. Van Reeth said. “First place gets $3,500, second place gets $2,500, and there are four awards of merit that are $1,000 each.”

Congratulations to all of the Dreyfoos students selected as finalists:

• Catherine Chen (Visual)
  • Daniela Rappel (Visual)
  • Danielle Chua (Visual)
  • Hang Luo (Visual)
  • Isamer Jaquez (Visual)
  • Israel Fontura (Digital media)
  • Janessa Ma (Visual)
  • Michael Anderson (Visual)
  • Nicole Lindner (Visual)
  • Tyler Brunner (Visual)
  • Valentina Suarez (Digital media)
  • Victoria Pouille (Visual)
  • Will Miranda (Visual)