Turning Trash into Treasures

Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. It’s a slogan we have all heard since elementary school, but how many of us can apply this phrase to our hobbies? Communications freshman Samantha Garboden applies this slogan to every one of her creations. Garboden has taken her passion for the earth, people, and crafts to create unique items out of plastic bags.

“I crochet things using recycled plastic bags. So I’ve made purses, homeless mats, and stuffed animals,” Garboden said.  “I was even able to take a baby shoe pattern and make myself a pair of shoes.”

Garboden’s love for crafts began when she was in the third grade and took a knitting class at her local library. Inspired by the creations of others, she took her focus and creativity a step further, and was exposed to the art crochet by her grandmother. From there, she freely explored the craft learning through Youtube videos and other online tutorials.

“I saw this one person at my dance class crocheting a bag. When I saw that I was like ‘that is so cool, maybe I could do it.’ I taught myself from there, ” Garboden said. “Then I went to a church Summer camp and learned  how to make homeless mats out of the plastic bags, so the less fortunate could have something to sleep on.”

It was there Garboden met a church leader that would inspire her to keep practicing this craft. Kristin Rossignol has also taken her love for crafts to sew and recycle men’s ties into belts as well as purses. Rossignol first took notice of her when Garboden was in the fifth grade. Since then she has advised her in the logistics of creating and selling.

“I think [Garboden] is confident, determined, and creative. I was her leader and right away I noticed a purse she would carry around that she had made. It contained other projects she was also working on,” Rossignol said. “ She has improved in her making and recycling things. [Garboden] is more confident in her ability.”

Garboden has used her free time to create anything from a bag to a sock monkey. The meticulous work can take anywhere from hours to days. Despite this fact, Garboden often times gives away her work for free. Given her faith and desire to help others, this isn’t something that bothers her.

“[My aunt] asked if I could make something for her [special needs] class. So I made them all sock monkeys to help them do yoga and read with just so they always have a partner. I volunteer with special needs at church so I was more than happy to do it,” Garboden said. “Everyone tells me I should sell it, but I like just giving it to people and seeing their reactions.”

All this hard work has definitely paid off. Besides receiving the satisfaction of helping the Earth and people; Garboden has received the chance to display her work at the South Florida Fair. She hopes to take this a step further by receiving an internship creating handmade items in Yesteryear village or joining the Peace Corps.

“I hope [Garboden] will follow her heart in whatever she chooses to do with her craft,”  Rossignol said. “Her faith has a huge effect on her work as well as her charity. I believe she has felt the unconditional love and Grace of Jesus and she desires to show others that same love.