Around the World in 10 Weeks: Trip Summary

Communications+junior+Tom+Kapitulnik+with+her+family+in+Thailand%2C+one+of+their+many+travel+destinations.+
Tom Kapitulnik
Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik with her family in Thailand, one of their many travel destinations.

72 days. 18 flights. 10 countries. One trip of a lifetime. This summer was the most memorable summer of my life. Instead of going to camp, getting a job or just hanging out with friends, I was exploring the world. I experienced new cultures, foods and places. I met people with many different backgrounds and stories to share. I learned that the world was so much bigger than I thought and yet, felt so small at times.

This trip showed me some of the best, and worst, things that I have seen. The lush forests of Costa Rica and the ancient ruins of Peru came hand-in-hand with the poverty and overpopulation of New Delhi. From the croissants of Paris to the roasted guinea pigs of Peru, there was always something new to try. My family thawed on a beach in Thailand after the freezing winter of New Zealand. These contrasts all highlighted how different life can be in different areas of the world.

One of the main things this trip taught me to be grateful for what I had at home. I saw beggars that owned nothing but the clothes that they were wearing. We talked to taxi drivers that hadn’t seen their families in months, and people who lived on the side of the train tracks in tiny huts made of mud and thatch. So many people today don’t have an appreciation for the kind of lifestyle they are privileged to have. My parents, who traveled a lot when they were young, wanted me to see how other people live so that I know how truly fortunate I am. Before this trip, I took things like my home, food and even going to school for granted. This summer, I met people who had never even heard of Florida before- they never went to school. I realized how lucky I am to have all these opportunities in my life that some people never even dream of.

This trip was more than just a summer vacation. It was an opportunity to learn, to see new cultures and to become closer with my family. The experiences and lessons I learned from this trip will last me for my whole lifetime. However, my passion for traveling just started.

$450
$10000

Tom Kapitulnik, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Tom Kapitulnik is the co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. This is her third year on the staff. When she is not working on The Muse (which is almost always,) Tom enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and swimming. She is also on the Debate team at Dreyfoos. Tom is very excited for the upcoming year and can’t wait to see what The Muse accomplishes.
$450
$10000