• March 27No School because of Good Friday on 3/29/24
  • March 27No School on 3/25/24
  • March 27Asian Cultural Society Holi Holiday on 3/28/24 at 11:19 a.m. at the Blue Tables Outside Cafeteria
  • March 27Scholarship Night on 3/27/24 at 6 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • March 27Dual Enrollment Meeting on 3/27/24 at 11:19 a.m. in the Cafeteria

Around the World in 10 Weeks: India and Turkey

• Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik (second from left) stands with her family in front of the Taj Mahal.

• Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik (right) stands with her mother and sister at the red fort in Agra, India.

• The view of Istanbul from the cruise on the Bosphorus, where one can see the Hagia Sophia as part of the skyline.

• The Hagia Sophia from the inside in Istanbul, Turkey.

• The Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey.

Three countries in five days. This part of the trip was definitely the most hectic, but it was also exciting. We got to see just enough of India and Turkey to make us interested enough to want to come back again.

Our first stop was India. When we arrived to New Delhi, the first thing we felt was the wave of heat that hit us the moment we opened the doors of the air conditioned airport. When we got in the cab, we were all shocked at the traffic- it was crazy. People were turning around and going against the flow of traffic because they didn’t want to get stuck in a traffic jam. Separate lanes were ignored- the road was a mix of cars, rickshaws, people, motorcycles and animals. We finally made it to the hotel, where we took a short break in order to enjoy the air conditioning in our rooms.

We then decided to make our way to the main bazaar on foot. Sidewalks don’t exist in New Delhi, so the road is shared by cars and people alike. Making our way to the grand bazaar was terrifying. Cars would honk to let you know they were coming but wouldn’t stop to let you pass. Rickshaws and motorcycles weaved in and out of the street going in both directions.
The main bazaar is one road with shops and vendors lining the street. The smell was overwhelming- a mix of spices, car exhaust and animals. Again, there was no sidewalk, but walking on the road meant a risk of getting run over by the impatient drivers. We spent most of the day there, eating and shopping. My mom, sisters and I got fitted for traditional Indian clothing called punjabis.

Humayan's tomb in Delhi, India.
Tom Kapitulnik
Humayan’s tomb in Delhi, India.

The next day, we had guided tour in the morning. We went to visit Humayan’s Tomb, a smaller version of the Taj Mahal. We also went to the India gate and to a Hindu temple. After lunch, we went to the train station. After waiting for more than an hour in the loud, dirty and crowded station, we boarded the train to Agra. We made it to Agra in the evening.

Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik (middle) stands with her family in front of the  red fort in Agra, India.
Tom Kapitulnik
Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik (middle) stands with her family in front of the red fort in Agra, India.

Early the next morning, we went to go see the Taj Mahal. We had to wake up very early in order to avoid the high temperatures that happen after the sun rises. The Taj Mahal was stunning, with the white marble, intricate decorations and symmetry everywhere. After a tour of the Taj Mahal, we went to see the Red Fort in Agra and then headed back to Delhi by car. We woke up the next day at three a.m. and headed to the airport to go to Istanbul.

Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik (right) stands with her mother and sisters in front of the Hagia Sophia.
Tom Kapitulnik

We arrived at noon, and I was awed by the beauty of Istanbul. It was the complete opposite of what I had just experienced in Delhi. The city is beautiful, boasting cobblestone streets, beautiful mosques and trees everywhere. The city is built around the Bay of Bosphorus, which also means that Istanbul is on two continents- Asia and Europe. We stopped to get a bite to eat of delicious Turkish food, and then walked to the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. The blue mosque was beautiful, and is still a working mosque. The Hagia Sophia, however, is now a museum. After touring both, we took the Metro down to the Bay. There, we took an evening cruise on the Bosphorus. It was beautiful- we were able to see the sun set over the city. Afterwards, we walked through a bazaar and sat down to have some Turkish coffee.

The next day, we went to the cisterns near the Hagia Sophia. The cisterns are a huge underground cavern filled with pillars and water. After walking around, we went to the Old Bazaar, where we spent the rest of the day. My mom and I stopped at the spice bazaar, which was filled with beautiful colors and exotic smells. After we did some shopping, we picked up our bags from the hotel and went to the airport to finally make it to Israel.

$450
$10000

Tom Kapitulnik, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Tom Kapitulnik is the co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. This is her third year on the staff. When she is not working on The Muse (which is almost always,) Tom enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and swimming. She is also on the Debate team at Dreyfoos. Tom is very excited for the upcoming year and can’t wait to see what The Muse accomplishes.
$450
$10000