• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Around the world in 10 Weeks: Thailand

Tom Kapitulnik
Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik petting an elephant at the Elephant Nature Park.

After the cold frosty weather of New Zealand, Thailand’s warm temperature was a welcome relief. We started in the bustling city of Bangkok. Bangkok is a large, sprawling city that has large skyscrapers and Buddhist shrines on the same street. We visited two Buddhist temples in one day, as well as an open-air market and the largest shopping mall I have ever seen in my lifetime. The next morning, we took a plane down to the island of Kho Phangan. We stayed in a reclusive resort and spent four days simply relaxing by the beach. It was nice to have a break from the high-paced traveling, and the beach (and endless smoothies) helped my whole family recharge for the next half of the trip.

Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik with her family relaxing on the beach in Kho Phangan.
Tom Kapitulnik

We took an overnight train back to Bangkok and then a plane to Chiang Mi up in the north. Chiang a I was a beautiful city surrounded by lush forests. We spent one day exploring the city, which included going to get a massage and going to the famous night market. I loved the night market- as night fell, the streets of Chiang Mi lit up with vendor stands selling everything from food to soap flowers. Outdoor massage places were a common sight, as well as fish spas. The fish spas are tanks of that are filled with hundreds of fish. When you put your feet in, the fish are supposed to eat the dead skin and rejuvenate your feet. My family tried this, but it was very weird and once was enough.

Elephants bathing at the Elephant Nature Park outside of Chiang Mi, Thailand.
Tom Kapitulnik

The next morning, we went to the Elephant Nature Park, which is an elephant reserve right outside of Chiang Mi. Unlike other elephant parks in the area, the Elephant Nature Park takes care of elephants who have been injured from land mines or working in the logging industry. During the tour, we were able to feed the elephants, take them on a walk and bathe them. This was a highlight of the trip- it was so incredible to see one reserve making such a big difference. The reserve has many volunteer opportunities, and it is definitely something I would consider doing in the future.

A traditional meal of Pad Thai.
Tom Kapitulnik
A traditional meal of Pad Thai.

During our last day in Chiang Mi, my family went to visit one of the most famous Buddhist temples. The temple is rumored to have Buddha’s relics buried there. The temple was covered in gold and jade, with flowers all around. It was truly an amazing way to say goodbye to Thailand.

$750
$10000

Tom Kapitulnik
Tom Kapitulnik, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Tom Kapitulnik is the co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. This is her third year on the staff. When she is not working on The Muse (which is almost always,) Tom enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and swimming. She is also on the Debate team at Dreyfoos. Tom is very excited for the upcoming year and can’t wait to see what The Muse accomplishes.
$750
$10000