Around the World in 10 Weeks: Peru

• Kapitulnik with her family in front of Machu Picchu.

• The view from the town of Chinchero, Peru where the Incan method of terrace farming is visible.

• Kapitulnik and her family stand in a field in front of the mountains near Urubamba, Peru

• Kapitulnik with her family in front of the salt mines in the mountains of the Sacred Valley in Peru.

Before my 10 week trip, I was only able to imagine what most of the places I was visiting would look like. I could picture the jungles of Costa Rica, the snow-capped mountains of New Zealand and the elegance of France. However, I really couldn’t imagine what Peru would be like. I had no knowledge about the culture, food or geography that I was about to encounter. After spending a week in Peru, I was surprised at all Peru had to offer.

The view from Kapitulnik's house in Salliancha, Peru in the Sacred Valley.
Tom Kapitulnik
The view from Kapitulnik’s house in Salliancha, Peru in the Sacred Valley.

One of the biggest aspects of life that I noticed in Peru was the huge wealth disparity. On our first night in Peru, my family and I stayed in a “good” neighborhood in Lima; a place in which some houses were old and rundown, and trash lined the streets. It was very clear that certain parts of Lima were very poor. Peddlers lined the streets trying desperately to sell their goods, and many shops were closed or in desperate need of repair. Merely a few blocks away, however, there was an extreme difference in the wealth of the area. There is a neighborhood in Lima called Miraflores, where my family stayed for out last night in Peru. There was a huge difference in Miraflores that other areas of Lima- the houses were large and decorated, and many high-end restaurants and casinos lined the streets. There was a large shopping all facing the ocean, featuring a variety of stores from Pinkberry to Nike. The streets were clean from trash and graffiti, and the parks were full of people. It was amazing to me to see how in one city, there were places that were so different.

No matter where my family was, however, the culture was always prominent. The Peruvian culture was something new and exciting that I didn’t expect. Peruvians are very proud of their culture, and it can be seen in the food, architecture and clothing. My family was lucky in that we saw two different festivals in Peru, one in Lima and one in Cuzco. Everybody was dressed up in traditional Peruvian outfits, and ate festive meals. One of these were cuy, also known as cooked guinea pig, which is eaten during holidays and other special occasions.

Kapitulnik and her family at the Plaza de Armas in Lima, Peru. At the time, the Corpus Christi festival was going on, where pieces of art, like the one shown, displayed religious symbols made solely from flower petals.
Tom Kapitulnik

Peruvians also have a unique blend of religious syncretism. The majority of Peruvians are Catholic, but still incorporate many aspects of Inca religion into their daily lives. I saw this on many occasions, and it never failed to amaze me how dedicated people were to their religious beliefs. One day, we went to Chinchero, a small village in the mountains of the Sacred Valley. This traditional town that saw the building of new structures over its original Incan stones with the arrival of the Spanish. The church in Chinchero lies on top of the remains of an Incan temple, and parts of the temple can be seen inside the church.

Leaving Peru, I have more knowledge and a myriad of experiences that have helped me shape my opinion about this unique country. I wish I could have spent more time there, and in the future I will come back, this time knowing what to expect.

$450
$10000

Tom Kapitulnik, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Tom Kapitulnik is the co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. This is her third year on the staff. When she is not working on The Muse (which is almost always,) Tom enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and swimming. She is also on the Debate team at Dreyfoos. Tom is very excited for the upcoming year and can’t wait to see what The Muse accomplishes.
$450
$10000