Spirit Week: Day 4 St. Baldrick’s Event & Powder Puff Game

Julia Horneck
Math teacher Christopher Coombs shaves his head to raise awareness for children’s cancer.

On the only LTM day of Spirit week after assemblies, students and faculty gathered in the gym to witness two events happening at the same time and same place. To raise awareness and funds, Dreyfoos’s St. Baldrick’s Children’s cancer foundation club, was able to meet the needs of thousands of children throughout the world who loss hair due to chemotherapy. The club raised $4,125 in total, including $50 per person who desired to shave their heads off to spread awareness.

“I’d say over 15 student’s and faculty’s heads were shaved off and overall, it turned out really well. Truth be told, we only had a month to plan it,” said Dreyfoos St. Baldrick’s club Vice President and communications junior Nyna Van Eps, “To see everyone today all the stress was worth it.

In addition to a touching cause, females in each grade level were able to show their basketball skills by participating in the Powder Puff basketball game. Seniors and Sophomores against Juniors and Freshmen represented their classes making sure that every point counted. The entire game ended with 14-5, with Juniors and Freshmen as the winners.

“We have a lot of talented people at our school in both the arts and athletics, but today really showed everyone’s competitive side,” Band junior Riley Gore said, “It felt great on the court since Dreyfoos doesn’t have a basketball team, so it gave me a motive to win and score as much as possible.”

Gore scored 10 points, 5 steals and a layup. She is certainly looking forward to her senior year, participating in the Powder Puff basketball game.

“I loved the team this year and can’t wait to do it next year, except with water boys,” Gore said.

$450
$10000

Gernise Gregoire, Lifestyle Editor
Gernise Gregoire is a communications senior and Lifestyle Editor on The Muse. She strives to make The Muse even more interesting for her peers. Her hobbies include playing piano, creating major events for her club UNICEF, and giving back to the community every chance she gets. Not only is she President of her UNICEF club, but a Historian in ARTS club, a member of the National Communication Honors Society, National Academics Society and National English Honors Society. Gregoire plans to attend Columbia University or the University of Florida to pursue her medical journalism dreams.
$450
$10000