• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

SOCIETY IS THE PROBLEM…MILLENIALS AREN’T

“Mark Zuckerberg Facebook SXSWi 2008 Keynote” by Jason McELweenie is licensed under CC BY 2.0 Generic.

“Embarrassing to be a part of the ‘hand out’ generation.”  Just one of the many phrases used against the millennial generation.

Millennials are often associated with terms such as disrespectful, entitled, and most prominently: lazy. American pop culture labels the millennials (anyone born between 1981 to 1998) as unable to understand the value of hard work, dedication, fortitude, or mental toughness. Today’s youth continues to get berated, sneered, and blank by the past generations, even though Millenials have been the driving force of this country.

In a recent survey conducted by Bentley University, a psychologist tested how driven the millennial generation is, results showed that 67 percent of respondents said they wanted to start their own business and  13 percent said they hope to one day become CEOs. According the Forbes, for the first time society is seeing an overwhelming amount of young adults hunger for such power. This is due to how familiar they are with technology. In the age of technology and entrepreneurship, if millennials can’t get a job, they’ll make one. This booming increase in technological literacy leads society to  see more millenials run companies and starting their own brands. Mark Zuckerberg, David Karp, and Jessica Alba are just a few of the many hundreds of millennials who began their own start-up company.

This new tech-savvy generation has a strong passion to change the world and challenge societal norms. They are ready to take on the challenges and hardships that come with making a positive difference in the lives of people globally. There is not a week that goes by when their generation has a public outrage over the now not so silent issues of police brutality, sexism, homophobia, etc. Movements such as TimesUp, MeToo, and Black Lives Matter were all started by millennials wanting to change an unjust cruel world. According to The Washington Post, the generation of millenials is the more vocal  than any before it.

Although they may be  drowning in college debt, Millenials are the most educated generation according to the Pew Research Center, and an overwhelming majority of the younger population is going to graduate school. The Education Census Bureau said that about 4 out of every 10 people attended college in the 1950s. In a survey conducted in 2016, 8 out of every 10 people attended college.

Society continues to harp on the upcoming generation.

The statistics continue to show how driven and focused they are while having their fingers on the pulse of what is happening around the world.

Where would we be without Mark Zuckerberg?