Unity in Diversity

Presidents from various cultural clubs share their definitions of unity and club missions
Former cultural club officers Jasmine Mullings, Sophie Burnston, Jacqueline Alvarado, Alyssa McIntosh, Kaitlin Xia, and Ben Levkovitz pose together.
Caitlin Villacrusis

As each performer takes the stage, the spotlight gleams down on them as they share a piece of their cultural backgrounds. Dancers twirl around the stage wearing traditional attire, musicians play both ancestral and popular music from their countries, and poets recite the stories of their history. 

The Multicultural Show is an annual event held each year. It will be taking place on March 15 after the Pep Rally; the show is put on by the school’s cultural clubs, such as the Asian Cultural Society, Latin Hispanic Heritage Club, Jewish Student Union, and Black Student Union. The show is a way for all students to come together to showcase their cultures and heritages. The theme of this year’s show, which will take place on Mar. 15 after the Pep Rally, is “Harmony: Celebrating in Unity!” 

Asian Cultural Society (ACS)
Asian Cultural Society (ACS)

Co-president of ACS and visual senior Kaitlyn Chen

“Asian is a very broad term because you have South Asia, and Southeast Asia, and East Asia, and even within these different regions, there’s a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity, so being a part of ACS really helps you bring unity and meet other cultures and learn and experience things you might not have before.”

Black Student Union (BSU)
Black Student Union (BSU)

Co-president of BSU and communications senior Jasmine Mullings

“Membership isn’t limited to being Black. So inherently, you get to learn a lot of different perspectives. But you’re also learning about people in your own school that you may not have met otherwise, and so you get to feel a lot closer with your school community and just kind of hav(e) this sense of pride and unity as you’re walking around campus.”

Latin Hispanic Heritage Club (LHHC)
Latin Hispanic Heritage Club (LHHC)

Co-president of LHHC and vocal senior Angelina Castillo

“This year for our Multicultural Show, our theme is ‘celebrations,’ which I think is a really big part of unity (and) being together. Everyone has something in common, whether we come from a different country or not.”

Jewish Student Union (JSU)
Jewish Student Union (JSU)

Co-president of JSU and vocal senior Rebecca Lesser

“It brings together a lot of different people who don’t come from the same backgrounds. It gives everyone an opportunity to learn about each other. People learn about Judaism and their traditions in history.”