Dreyfoos on Ice
Dreyfoos on Ice
April 22, 2024

Breaking Down The iPhone 6s

Breaking Down The iPhone 6s
Graphic by Erik Ridd

They’ve outdone themselves again. Apple sold over 13 million iPhone 6s units on its release weekend, more than any of its phone line models have sold before. Starting at a steep $649, the iPhone 6s brings with it a multitude of improvements.

3D Touch – The Shiny New Toy.

3D Touch, possibly the 6s’ most important addition, senses how much force is applied to the screen. It doesn’t sound like much, but the possibilities it brings are endless. Tapping with more force on apps like Instagram allows users to quickly navigate the app with a drop-down menu of options. Magic Piano uses 3D Touch to make playing the piano more lifelike than ever before. The greater the force on each key, the louder the note will be played. Buyers can expect to spend countless hours on this addicting app. 3D Touch may not be very exciting now but expect huge improvements coming in the future.

Dynamic Wallpapers – It’s About Time, Apple.

Every other smartphone has had this feature for years. The ability for a wallpaper to move is not new nor special, but Apple’s take on the feature is a bit different from that of its competitors. Unlike other smartphones, the iPhone 6s’ motion wallpapers only become active when tapped. The tapping for motion feature saves battery that would be depleted quickly with a constant motion wallpaper. The phones’ preset wallpapers include an assortment of colorful fish and smoke. Simply put, the wallpapers are clean, smooth, and aesthetically pleasing.

Live Photos – Use it Once, Never Again.

The iPhone 6s now lets users create GIFs out of three photos taken consecutively in three seconds. Oh wait, that could be done on the older iPhones too. Popularized by the social media app PHHHOTO, GIF sharing has turned into a trend among teens and adults alike. Unfortunately, Apple’s take isn’t the same as PHHHOTO. While the 6s uses three photos to make its GIFs, PHHHOTO uses five. The difference is staggering. The additional two photos make for a much more smooth GIF. It also makes for a great way to waste storage as they take up twice as much space as a regular photo.

New Screen – No More Shattering?

Clumsy people should rejoice for the iPhone 6s has a stronger screen. No, it’s not at the level of an old Nokia phone, but improvements have been made to make the screen more shatter resilient. Apple claims it’s the “strongest cover glass used on any smartphone in the world.” It won’t be perfect, but it is satisfying to see Apple fix one of its customers’ most frequent complaints.

$750
$10000

Riley O'Connor
Riley O'Connor, Copy Editor
Communications junior Riley O’Connor is a second-year staffer and Copy Editor on The Muse. With hopes to further advance his writing skills through The Muse, he plans on majoring in journalism in a college close to home. Apart from his main focus of writing, film occupies much of his spare time.
$750
$10000