SCHOOL NAME CHANGE PROPOSAL “DIVIDES” SAC MEETING

+Many+different+members+of+the+community+attended+Wednesday+night%E2%80%99s+SAC+meeting%2C+including+SAC+Chair+and+social+studies+teacher+Sarah+Ray%2C+Principal+Dr.+Susan+Atherley%2C+School+Counselor+Georgia+Mounce%2C+and+SGA+Presidents+Armin+Khoshbin+and+Annemarie+Gerlach.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Many different members of the community attended Wednesday night’s SAC meeting, including SAC Chair and social studies teacher Sarah Ray, Principal Dr. Susan Atherley, School Counselor Georgia Mounce, and SGA Presidents Armin Khoshbin and Annemarie Gerlach.

Adam Goldstick

Adam Goldstick

Adam Goldstick

Two words and $1 million. At the Dreyfoos School Advisory Council meeting on Wednesday, April 3, Principal Dr. Susan Atherley provided insight into a school name-change proposal that, six years after its introduction, is back on the table.

Bringing it back from 2013, Alexander W. Dreyfoos—the school’s original benefactor—would like to change the name of the school to Dreyfoos School of the Arts and Sciences, tagging two additional words to the end of the name. Along with the name change, Mr. Dreyfoos has stated that he will contribute $1 million of additional funding to the school. Moreover, the costs of all the items associated with the name change, such as new signs and building renovations, would also be covered by Mr. Dreyfoos.

When Mr. Dreyfoos proposed this change in 2013, it was voted down at the SAC meeting and did not move forward. However, due to recent policy changes by the school board, regardless of the decision made by the SAC, the proposal is guaranteed to advance to the district level.

While leading the discussion, Dr. Atherley addressed that there is  “a divide, or rather, a difference of opinion” when it comes to whether the reform would be beneficial for the school. Now, the staff of the school is split. While Mr. Dreyfoos is not asking for a curriculum change, that may follow if the school has to prove itself as a school of the sciences. Several members of the SAC expressed their concerns regarding the change.

A member of the Theatre Parents Association stated that multiple parents and students believe that this decision is a “done deal,” meaning that the change will be occurring. However, Dr. Atherley refuted that point, clarifying that there will be numerous meetings and opportunities for members of the community to voice their opinions before the final decision is made. She emphasized that “she will put her foot down” so that the change “will not happen over the summer.”

There is anticipation that Mr. Dreyfoos will come to speak to SAC sometime this year or early next school year. As this proposal continues to make its way through the Dreyfoos community, the number of students, parents, and faculty involved in the conversation is likely to increase.

Keep following The Muse’s website for online updates, and be on the lookout for more in-depth coverage in our next print issue.

Nirmit Chandan, News Editor

Communications sophomore Nirmit Chandan is a first-year Cover staffer on The Muse. He loves attending Dreyfoos and is eager to learn more about news writing...