Dreyfoos rushes the College Fair

Photo by Jade Lenkersdorf
Theatre senior Alyssa Gates talks to a representative of Tulane University at Dreyfoos’ College Fair on Oct. 7. The fair was held in the gym from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and over 70 colleges were represented.

Over 70 schools were represented at Dreyfoos’ annual College Fair on Oct. 7. The event, which ran from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. was organized by the Parent Teacher Association.

“It’s all the parents. The parents do all of this and they do a phenomenal job,” Assistant Principal George Miller said. “This is all parent-driven and when it stated it was parent driven.”

Colleges ranging from multiple disciplinaries were represented. Institutions focused on the arts, such as The Juilliard School and the Peabody Conservatory, were mixed with institutions focused on traditional academics, such as Georgetown University and the University of Florida.

“[I] try to convince [the students] that even if they don’t go on to major in the arts, they can still have a robust experience in the arts in college and they don’t have to leave that behind,” FSU director of admissions for the College of Music Kristopher Watson said.

Hundreds of students participated in the event to visit alumni and representatives of each institutions. Information was also handed out from multiple educational services, such as The Princeton Review and Score At The Top.

“I think the college fair is incredibly beneficial to me because I can find out more information about the colleges that I’m interested in,” strings junior Emme Colton said. “I really enjoyed how the college fair was organized this year. It was easy to find the colleges that I was interested in.”

Also on Oct. 7, the school counseling department held a Naviance meeting from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. The meeting provided more information to parents and students about Naviance, a college application service that will be available to all Dreyfoos students.

$750
$10000

Jack Yan
Jack Yan, News Editor
Communications senior Jack Yan is a third-year staffer and the News Editor on The Muse. He not only writes the news but has an unhealthy obsession with reading it; but he aspires in life to do more than read or write the news, he wants to be in the news. He is actively involved in his school and his community. For example, Yan is the current Co-President of the Dreyfoos SGA, interns at Harrington Law Associates, an international law firm based in South Florida, and serves on the West Palm Beach Education Advisory Committee for the Mayor of West Palm. In addition, he is Co-Captain of the Speech and Debate team where he has won local, state, and national awards. Most importantly, however, Yan loves puppies, kittens, colorful socks, dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets, and pancakes.
$750
$10000