Seniors go all out for Blackout

• Visual seniors Daniella Rappel (left) and Palmer Crippen pose for a picture on Aug. 21 in the student parking lot during Senior Blackout.

• Band senior Triton Payne gets the senior class ready for Senior Blackout on Aug. 21 by yelling the class’ graduation year, 2016.

• Communications senior Jillian Wrieden (L-R), visual senior Jacob Cartales, dance senior Bianca Knowles, communications senior Cassandra Adair and communications senior Gabrielle Hanks participate in their first Senior Blackout, when all members of the class dress in black and run from the student parking lot to show their senior pride.

• Strings seniors Katherine Conrad (L-R), Kristin Janos and Juliet Schreiber laugh during Senior Blackout on Aug. 21.

• Dance senior Katia Lago (left) and communications senior Nyna Van Eps show senior pride during Senior Blackout on Aug. 21.

• Theatre senior Shahin Barzroudipour grabs visual senior Thomas Cody’s shirt while trying to balance on communications senior Jack Reagan’s shoulders for a senior class photo during lunch on Aug. 21 on the soccer field.

Dreyfoos seniors adopted the closest thing they would have to a uniform when they came to school outfitted in their class colors, black and gold, on Aug. 21.

“[The best part] is the sense of unity you feel with other seniors because you’re all dressed up in black and gold,” vocal senior Sidney Kelly said.

Senior Blackout is an annual tradition that occurs on the first Friday of the school year. The seniors take a class photo and get a chance to express their role as school royalty. The seniors started off the day by running from the student parking lot onto campus, passing the cafeteria and Freshman Hill. Their resemblance to a charging army confused and possibly frightened the incoming freshman.

“It’s weird seeing my peers finally dressed in black and gold crowns,” visual senior Mei Lin O’Malley said.  “I remember when I was a freshman looking up at the seniors and it’s definitely a flashback.”

For some seniors, Senior Blackout can serve as a sparkly reminder of the nearing end of high school.

“It’s bittersweet. I’m excited to move on and do new things but I’ll miss my friends,” digital media senior Marissa Orlove said.

$750
$10000

Mary Rasura
Mary Rasura, Features Editor
Communications junior Mary Rasura has had a love of journalism ever since her parents made it a point to watch the 5 PM. news. She is the Features Editor and feels the section will be a great fit for her. She believes Dreyfoos wouldn't be what it was without the arts, and is excited to report on this vital part of the school’s ecology. Rasura enjoys creative writing as well, and finds truth and fiction to be equally compelling narratives. In her free time, she loves political satire and likes to watch the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. She loves having flowers in her room and believes they brighten up any work space. She is an active member of the Women’s Empowerment Club and plans on joining the Speech and Debate team, as she has discovered a love of speech in the past year and wishes to improve her rhetoric. In the future, Mary wishes to work at a news magazine and would love to review theater shows.
$750
$10000