WWII Veterans Share Their Story With Dreyfoos

Julia Bonavita
Sid Katz (L-R) and Warren Klein speak about their WWII experiences to Dreyfoos students.

VAs the bell marking the beginning of lunch rang, the media center filled up with students and faculty in anticipation of hearing stories from two WWII veterans. The event was hosted by the Forgotten Soldiers Club and the National History Honor Society on April 14. The veterans, Warren Klein and Sid Katz, served for the Eighth Air Force in England, flying bomber planes  over Europe. Both were 17 when they enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps.

“I met [Klein and Katz] at Wings of Freedom [a tour showcasing WWII planes] at the Boca Raton Airport,” Forgotten Soldiers Club president and vocal senior Jessica Hamorsky said. “We started talking and [getting] along and then I asked them to speak for the [Forgotten Soldiers] club.”

Hamorsky learned about the upcoming event three days before it was to occur and scrambled to spread the word. She made flyers and placed them in many locations throughout Dreyfoos where students could see them.

“I was expecting 20 to 30 people at the event,” Hamorsky said. “I was talking to [Klein and Katz] and turned around and it was packed, it made me feel good [to have the media center full.]

There were no seats left in the media center, so some attendees were forced to stand. Students from all grades, faculty from all subjects, Assistant Principals and Dr. Atherley were in attendance to listen to the stories of the two veterans. Klein and Katz spoke about their reasons for enlisting and their careers. They worked aboard the bombers. Klein was a navigator turned bombardier, and Katz was also a bombardier. Both men were humorous and sharp, and despite their age they made the crowd laugh many times. They also spoke about fond memories and gave advice such as getting girls by joining the Air Corps.

“[Klein and Katz] were overwhelmed and happy with the turnout,” Hamorsky said. “When I met them, I wanted other people to learn about their story [because they are] living history.”

$750
$10000

Daniel Montoya
Daniel Montoya, Sports Staffer
Communications senior Daniel Montoya is a third-year news staffer for The Muse. He’s been invested in journalism since middle school. Besides journalism, Montoya has an interest in 3D modeling and 3D printing. He is founder and president of the 3D printing club. When he is not writing for the Muse, modeling on the computer or studying for his exams, Montoya can be found sleeping or staying up late doing homework. In addition to working for The Muse, Montoya’s also has a passion for soccer. He has been playing since he was little and has been on the Dreyfoos varsity soccer team and hopes to continue in his college career. Montoya is a member of the varsity cross country and track and field team, and is also a member of Spanish Honor Society and president of A.R.T.S. club.
$750
$10000