Introducing Mr. Dreyfoos

A Prom to Remember: Operation Dreyfoos hosts the first male beauty pageant
Dance+sophomore+Darius+Hickman%2C+winner+of+the+Mr.Dreyfoos+pageant+hosted+by+A+Prom+to+Remember%3A+Operation+Dreyfoos%2C+performs+his++dance+routine+for+the+talent+portion+of+the+contest.+
Bari Bossis
Dance sophomore Darius Hickman, winner of the Mr.Dreyfoos pageant hosted by A Prom to Remember: Operation Dreyfoos, performs his dance routine for the talent portion of the contest.

When he strutted onto the stage of Meyer Hall wearing a formal suit adorned with silver glitter and red flowers, it was obvious that dance sophomore Darius Hickman stood out from the other 12 contestants. Hickman was crowned the winner of A Prom to Remember: Operation Dreyfoos’ first annual Mr. Dreyfoos Pageant in Meyer Hall on March 26.

The pageant consisted of two portions: a question and answer session with the 13 contestants and a talent portion. For his talent, Hickman performed a dance solo for the judge panel and the audience. Each of the students was able to answer a general question and also showcase what they’re skilled at, particularly within their major.

During his question and answer session, Hickman was asked what three things he believed were the keys to success. His answer was simple. He replied that the keys to success are happiness, determination and ambition.

“After I won [the] Mr. Dreyfoos [pageant], I felt like I had accomplished one of my main goals, which was for people to know me for the nice and funny person that I am,” Hickman said. “I think just by me winning I gave myself an opportunity to make new friends and hopefully make more people smile.”

The judging panel consisted of magnet coordinator Patrick Marshall, guidance counselor Georgia Mounce, Assistant Principal George Miller, A Prom to Remember founder Brandon Opre and Miss Delray Beach Chrissy Reynoso. The contestants were individually ranked by each of the judges in three categories: formal wear, the question and answer session and talent on a scale of 1-10.  The five totals for each contestant were averaged together and the highest score determined Hickman to be crowned Mr. Dreyfoos. When combining ticket sales and donations earned, A Prom to Remember raised a total of $3,049.

“The Mr. Dreyfoos Pageant was a life-changing night,” club president and communications senior Morgaan Jessell said. “We raised a record-breaking amount of money that is going to create an unforgettable night for cancer patients all over South Florida. I am honored to have gotten the opportunity to raise such a substantial amount of money in such a fun way.”

$450
$10000

Taylor Rich, Head Copy Editor
Communications senior Taylor Rich is a third-year staffer and the Head Copy Editor of The Muse. Rich loves fast food, friends, and foreign policy. In her major, she focuses on journalism and debate. Rich is a captain of the Dreyfoos Speech and Debate Team and an avid competitor in Congressional Debate, where she travels across the nation to compete. Additionally, Rich is the president of ThinkPINK and encourages all of Dreyfoos to get involved and contribute to the club’s cause of promoting breast cancer awareness. Rich is looking forward to another spectacular year on The Muse and reaching out to the entire Dreyfoos community and learning as much as she can about its artistic environment.
$450
$10000