Dreyfoos commemorates Alex and Jackie Berman in private ceremony

Students+gather+by+the+flag+pole+near+the+from+of+the+school+for+a+memorial+vigil+sponsored+by+the+Jewish+Student+Connection+and+First+Priority+for+Alex+and+Jackie+Berman.+
Maria Grosso
Students gather by the flag pole near the from of the school for a memorial vigil sponsored by the Jewish Student Connection and First Priority for Alex and Jackie Berman.

In a sea of white, students and faculty gathered in front of Building 2 at lunch to honor the lives of strings junior Alex Berman and his sister, strings sophomore Jackie Berman. Through songs and speeches, friends commemorated the siblings, saying goodbye to two members of the Dreyfoos family.

“Everyone wearing white was us showing that we’re not going to forget them and they’ll be in our hearts forever loved,” vocal junior Chelsea Vincent said. “The ceremony went really well; it showed who they were and them as individuals and friends rather than just someone at school.”

Alex and Jackie were found dead in their home in an apparent murder-suicide on Monday, according to The Palm Beach Post.

Students and teachers watch attentively as Jackie and Alex's close friends share personal memories.
Students and teachers watch attentively as Jackie and Alex’s close friends share personal memories.

Cantor David Feuer, communications junior Matt Feuer’s father, of Temple Emanuel spoke at the memorial, which was put together by the Jewish Student Connection (JSC). Torn black ribbons were handed out to attendees, a part of ancient Jewish tradition known as kriah. Traditionally, kriah is “performed by the child, parent, spouse, and sibling of the deceased.”

“We’re all mourning, because we’re all a family. You’re mourning for them and their loss, and you want people to know you’re in mourning,” communications junior Erica Maltz said. “I think it was great we did the black ribbon. It’s a connection. It shows how much of a family Dreyfoos is.”

The torn black ribbon, a jewish symbol for personal grief,  was distributed for students to wear throughout their mourning process.
The torn black ribbon, a jewish symbol for personal grief, was distributed for students to wear throughout their mourning process.

Students were invited to decorate the siblings’ lockers with flowers, pictures and notes. Class councils also asked students to wear white today in honor of Alex and Jackie.

“Everyone wearing white symbolized angels I think. I’m happy that we all did because it made it all end on more of a positive note rather than a negative one. It’s sad knowing that I’ll never see them again,” vocal sophomore Ellie Lover said. “The ceremony was really important because everyone had closure and it definitely ended on a positive note. Also I’m happy that there was music incorporated because it brought in something that was very close to their lives.”

The memorial included a performance by several of Alex’s friends. They covered Dramamine by Modest Mouse, which they performed with Alex in a talent show last year. Many of the siblings’ close friends spoke about their memories and love for them at the memorial, including Alex’s girlfriend, dance sophomore Morgan Aumick and Jackie’s friend, strings sophomore Bailey Warren.

The JSC and other students thought it was important to honor the lives of Alex and Jackie so that students may bond together in their time of need.

“We only found out about it yesterday. We’re all still mourning the loss,” communications senior and JSC co-president Dana Miller said. “We couldn’t just leave it as a blank slate. It’s closure; the fact we could all come together and think of them.”

• Jackie Berman’s locker as decorated by her friends and loved ones. Among the decorations: Notes, crafts and photographs.

• Alex Berman’s locker as decorated by his friends and loved ones. Among the memorabilia: energy drinks, a skateboard and notes.

$750
$10000

Josie Russo
Josie Russo, News Editor
Josie Russo is a communications senior at Dreyfoos . She is the News Editor on The Muse. Her sophomore year she held the position of a Features Staffer and Website Content Editor. She plans to follow in her mother’s footsteps and go to college for journalism, hopefully at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She won second place in the Palm Beach County School District for her SECME high school essay. She is actively involved in the Children’s Home Society of Florida, volunteer coordinator of Students Supporting Other Students and a member of the National Communications Honor Society.
$750
$10000