Sweet Potato super food

Roasted sweet potato coins.
Credit to: Jessica Seinfeld
Roasted sweet potato coins.

If you are in need of something to eat that is healthy but sweet: sweet potatoes are the way to go. Originally from Central America, the sweet potato is one of the healthiest holiday favorites that offer a sweet taste while staying healthy. In many homes, sweet potatoes are only consumed at Thanksgiving, but they can be found in grocery stores all year round.

Ranked number one in nutrition out of the vegetable group by The Center for Science in the Public Interest, sweet potatoes provide a good source of fiber and nutrition. Fibers in these potatoes can help minimize cancer and can keep a person feeling full and satisfied for hours without having a large calorie intake.

Because of the high level of nutritional value, sweet potatoes are excellent for both the mind and body. High in vitamin D, it plays an important role in energy levels and the heart. Your energy and stamina can be increased by eating this root vegetable.

Sweet potatoes are enriched in antioxidants, carbohydrates and potassium, which can help prevent inflammatory problems like asthma and heart diseases by stabilizing blood pressure and regulating heart functions along with blood sugar levels.

When it comes to muscle cramps and treating stress-related symptoms, sweet potatoes are very beneficial. These potatoes can help lessen muscle cramps, which are often caused due to a lack of potassium. By adding these super foods to the daily diet, energy levels can be boosted and cramps can be minimized.

People should consider planting sweet potatoes in a garden since it will decrease the amount of money need to spend at the store. They are fairly easy to grow considering they don’t need much sunlight or water.

Sweet potatoes may be a common food usually during the holidays, but it will always remain a super food that should be eaten more than once a year due to its highly nutritional content.

$750
$10000

Marlena Houck, Business Manager
As a communications major, Marlena Houck is very dedicated to her art area. She is the business manager of both the Marquee yearbook and The Muse Magazine. Her writing career kicked off in 6th grade at Bak Middle School of the Arts, where she first took journalism class. Later on in middle school she became a member of the Portfolio Newspaper staff; first as a news editor and later on as the editor in chief. Because of her excellence in writing professionally, she was accepted into Dreyfoos School of the Arts where she now continues her career by helping to fund and promote the publications. She wishes to major in business administration or accounting at the University of Central Florida.
$750
$10000