Toning instead of tanning

If you are a couch potato during the summer months and are worried about staying fit, worry no longer because there are many fun ways to keep your body fit and healthy. Most people think working out means going to a gym and paying top dollar to use workout equipment, but there are many ways to work out for free and have fun in the process.

At the beach, there are many ways to work the muscles and get the picture perfect body anyone would want without any weights or shoes. From swimming in the ocean, to running on the beach or playing volleyball with friends, you are sure to work your core muscles, hamstrings, calves, and gluteal muscles. A great thing about exercising at the beach is while you work on toning and strengthening muscles, you can also tan.

“The foot is an incredible piece of machinery,” Ben Cohen, strength coach and founder of Ben Cohen Athletic Advising said. “With 26 bones, 33 joints, 12 tendons and 18 muscles, they all stretch and move like an earthquake-resistant suspension bridge.”

Being an expert with fitness and keeping the body healthy, Cohen believes working out on sand works many muscles in the foot, and can have less impact on the knees than other surfaces.

If the weather is bad or the heat is overbearing, there are many ways to stay fit at home while also being entertained. According to Love to Know Exercise, the average video game player would spend about eight hours a week playing on an electric gaming system. Those eight hours of playing video games can be put to good use by playing the “Wii” which is both fun to do alone or with a group of friends, while burning calories. Some games that are energetic, popular, and great for fitness are Just DanceWii SportsWii Fitness Plus, and The Biggest Loser.

Instead of doing sets of crunches, pushups, jumping jacks and other typical exercises, mix it up with other activities. Rock-wall climbing, canoeing, paddle boarding, rollerblading and others are all unique and fun, physical activities that can be done to stay fit while still enjoying yourself.

Although many think working out is a difficult and time-consuming activity there are ways to stay fit and healthy while having a good time during these summer months.

$750
$10000

Marlena Houck, Business Manager
As a communications major, Marlena Houck is very dedicated to her art area. She is the business manager of both the Marquee yearbook and The Muse Magazine. Her writing career kicked off in 6th grade at Bak Middle School of the Arts, where she first took journalism class. Later on in middle school she became a member of the Portfolio Newspaper staff; first as a news editor and later on as the editor in chief. Because of her excellence in writing professionally, she was accepted into Dreyfoos School of the Arts where she now continues her career by helping to fund and promote the publications. She wishes to major in business administration or accounting at the University of Central Florida.
$750
$10000