• March 27No School because of Good Friday on 3/29/24
  • March 27No School on 3/25/24
  • March 27Asian Cultural Society Holi Holiday on 3/28/24 at 11:19 a.m. at the Blue Tables Outside Cafeteria
  • March 27Scholarship Night on 3/27/24 at 6 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • March 27Dual Enrollment Meeting on 3/27/24 at 11:19 a.m. in the Cafeteria

Alumna dances her way to Juilliard

Hayley Mertens among only 12 female dancers to be accepted into Juilliard’s class of 2019.
Dreyfoos+alumna+Hayley+Mertens+poses+with+a+congratulatory+letter%2C+of+which+served+as+a+notification+that+she+was+under+serious+consideration+for+Juilliards+program%2C+after+her+New+World+School+of+the+Arts+audition.+
Photo courtesy of Hayley Mertens
Dreyfoos alumna Hayley Mertens poses with a congratulatory letter, of which served as a notification that she was under serious consideration for Juilliard’s program, after her New World School of the Arts audition.

Imagine if the number of students in your graduating class was equivalent to two dozen roses. That’s the case for dance alumna Hayley Mertens (‘15), who was one of 12 women in addition to 12 men accepted into the 2019 Juilliard dance program after being initially waitlisted.

“It was surreal to get the phone call I never really dared to dream would come,” Mertens told the School District of Palm Beach County News. “It is such a grueling process, so many talented dancers along the way, that I couldn’t let myself hope too much.”

Mertens is a dedicated dancer who trains intensively, often putting in 15 to 20 hours per week. She has been dancing since she was 3 years old due to her mother’s encouragement.

“I have been dancing so long because I love it,” Mertens said. “My mom is the one who put me in dance class when I was three. She said I would always jump up onto anything that looked even close to a stage and I would perform for anyone watching. I kept with it because I knew it’s what I have to do my whole life.”

She was very close to not applying to the school and ended up submitting her application on the final day they were being accepted. She decided to attend the audition for the experience of participating in a competitive environment.

Mertens performs in the  annual Spring Show along side dance junior Delaney Holdt.
Photo courtesy of Hayley Mertens
Mertens (front) performs in the annual Spring Show along side dance senior Delaney Holdt (back).

“I was close to not going to the audition,” Mertens said. “ But I went anyways and thought of it as a master class and more experience. When I [was accepted] I couldn’t believe it. I knew that there was a reason I got in and I had to go no matter what.”

Her audition was held at New World School of the Arts in Miami. According to the School District of Palm Beach County News, 30 out of 40 dancers were cut after the first hour of ballet class. Several of these auditions were held across the nation, with over 500 students auditioning. The audition consisted of group classes, then solos, and ended with three students left for the interviews.

“When I got there I didn’t feel that nervous because I already had it in my head that I wasn’t going to get through the first cut after ballet,” Mertens said. “So I went in the room with no pressure and just danced, smiled, and had fun. When I kept making it through the cuts I started getting nervous because I realized that I might actually be able to do this and I [thought] ‘I can’t get cut now I have to make it through.’”

She participated in a summer intensive program at Alonzo King LINES Ballet that helped prepare both her mental and physical skills for her Juilliard audition.

“The summer intensive completely changed the way I think about dance,” Mertens said. “ I appreciate it more and I now really understand my dancing. The program pushed me to grow and discover things about myself. It challenged me physically and mentally; making me into the dancer I am now.”

Mertens was also accepted to a program at Alonzo King LINES Ballet in addition to several universities such as Southern Methodist University, University of the Arts, Rutgers University and Point Park University. She ultimately chose Juilliard because she believes her education there will give her a leg up in her future career as a professional dancer.

“Juilliard will definitely give me the experience and training needed to pursue dance professionally,” Mertens said. “ They give you the opportunity to work with other professionals and help you make connections needed in the dance [industry].”

$450
$10000

Mary Rasura, Features Editor
Communications junior Mary Rasura has had a love of journalism ever since her parents made it a point to watch the 5 PM. news. She is the Features Editor and feels the section will be a great fit for her. She believes Dreyfoos wouldn't be what it was without the arts, and is excited to report on this vital part of the school’s ecology. Rasura enjoys creative writing as well, and finds truth and fiction to be equally compelling narratives. In her free time, she loves political satire and likes to watch the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. She loves having flowers in her room and believes they brighten up any work space. She is an active member of the Women’s Empowerment Club and plans on joining the Speech and Debate team, as she has discovered a love of speech in the past year and wishes to improve her rhetoric. In the future, Mary wishes to work at a news magazine and would love to review theater shows.
$450
$10000