Lake Worth Street Painting Festival

• Dreyfoos students of all grades and majors joined together on Feb 21-22 at the Lake Worth Street Painting Festival. Dreyfoos was given the north end of J street to use, and over 40 students attended and worked on pieces.

In between the colorful buildings of Lake Worth, Dreyfoos students situated themselves in the heat with their oil pastels, chalk, and paint, as thousands of people observed them for the Lake Worth Street Painting Festival.

“It’s really cool to see what other artists can do, it’s a different medium , and its really fun and when you walk around all the images are down and everyone’s is so different,” visual sophomore Giovanna Paciletti said.

Dreyfoos students were given the north side of J street to design their own art on the street, filling the pavement with hues of pink and blue. They began working at 10 a.m. and had two days to complete their pieces. The festival took place on Feb. 20-21, and celebrated its 22 year. Over 10,000 people attended the event.

Students from all different majors gathered to complete the pieces that they chose, ranging from melting women to multicolor octopi. Over 40 Dreyfoos students worked on the pieces, making our side street one of the most creative and impressive of the festival.

“It’s a lot larger medium than what we work on at school and much harder, but it’s great to work as a team,” visual sophomore Sandra Denker said. “It’s really fun that we all get to be here together.”

The festival also provided Dreyfoos students with an opportunity to work on a different medium, which proved more difficult than ideal for the students wishing to replicate the photos they chose as bases for their images.

“It’s hard to mix the chalk together and get a perfect color,”visual senior Jailine Cano said. “You don’t get as sharp lines as you would like, so you have to work on it for a while. Sometimes when the wind blows it makes the chalk blow with it.”

Cano worked with visual senior Casey McDonald on her piece, which was the album cover “Boy/Girl” by Julian Casablancas and Jenny Beth. By choosing such a convoluted piece, McDonald and Cano had the ability to expand their work and push their abilities to create something beautiful.

“This is a double exposure photograph, so it’s really hard to get all the hues with the chalk, and have it look perfect,” McDonald said.

When the festival ended, it was easy to see that though the streets were all filled with images of Jesus and stills from Disney films, Dreyfoos’ small side street truly shined.