• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

“Thoroughly Modern Millie” Gala Night

Photo courtesy of: Richard Berman
The cast of “Thoroughly Modern Millie” stands on stage with Tony award-winning producer Hal Luftig. Theatre junior Drew Lederman (center) holds Luftig’s Tony award.

At the Saturday evening performance of “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” the finale induced a roar of applause followed by a standing ovation, as it did in the previous six performances. The cast members took the stage for their final bows as usual, but there was something unique about this particular performance. At the end of the show, theatre senior Kyra Gerber would typically speak about Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids, the ongoing Thespian fundraiser. Instead, theatre dean Bruce Linser took the stage with the cast and crew to introduce a surprise guest: Hal Luftig, the producer of the Broadway run of “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”

Mr. Luftig was also the producer of “Legally Blonde” on Broadway and he attended the Dreyfoos production of the show last year. A major factor in choosing “Thoroughly Modern Millie” as the musical this year was the hope that Mr. Luftig would return to see it. He was originally supposed to attend the performance on Friday night and give a master class during the day, but his flight was cancelled three times due to inclement weather.

​ Mr. Linser invited Mr. Luftig onto the stage to speak to the audience and cast. He told the Dreyfoos cast that they made the show their own and that the Broadway cast would be proud of the way it was performed.

“When he was onstage, [Mr. Luftig] said, ‘This show is my baby and I know you aren’t supposed to have favorites, but this is my favorite,’” theatre senior Yossi Sachi said.
Mr. Luftig ended his speech by bringing out the Tony award that the original Broadway show won and handed it to theatre junior Drew Lederman who plays the role of Millie.

“Mr. Luftig told me after that he was trying to get Sutton Foster to come. She played Millie on Broadway, but she is filming a pilot so he brought the Tony instead,” Lederman’s mother Karen Lederman said.​

The cast of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" stands on stage with Tony award-winning producer Hal Luftig. Theatre junior Drew Lederman (center) holds Luftig's Tony award.
Photo courtesy of: Richard Berman
The cast of "Millie" takes a selfie with Mr. Luftig's Tony after the Saturday evening show.
Photo courtesy of: Lexi McCain
The cast of “Millie” takes a selfie with Mr. Luftig’s Tony award  after the Saturday evening show.

Mr. Luftig then joined the cast and crew at the gala reception.

“I talked to him, I held the tony, he just talked to all of us as a group and then socialized with everyone individually at the party,” theatre junior Alexandra Scirrotto said.

The School of the Arts Foundation hosts the gala each year. During the reception, everyone had a chance to hold and admire the Tony award.

​ “It was the best night of my life,” Lederman said.

$750
$10000

Remi Lederman
Remi Lederman, Editor in Chief
Communications Major Remi Lederman is an Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. Lederman is also an officer of National Honor Society and Jewish Student Connection. She is also involved in Debate, Quill and Scroll Honor Society, English Honor Society, History Honor Society, and Spanish Honor Society. For four summers, Remi attended the Duke Talent Identification Program where she took college courses on different aspects of writing including Creative Writing and Screenwriting. Lederman aspires to be the publisher of a professional magazine one day and plans to study business in college.
$750
$10000