BUS ETIQUETTE

BUS+ETIQUETTE
Daniela Esquenazi

There is no official right or wrong way to behave on the bus; however, maybe there is. The bus transportation system can be a pain, especially if you live far away from school, but it’s even more unbearable if the people around you don’t act accordingly.

Things NOT To Do:

• If you notice that no one else on the bus is talking, (especially in the morning) do not be the person to break the silence and talk as loud as you can. Not only can the whole bus hear you, but you’re probably disturbing those who are trying to catch up on sleep.
  • If you have a bulky backpack, an instrument, multiple bags, or anything that takes up space, do not put it in the aisle or by your side. Not only does it take up space in the seat, but the people trying to get off the bus will trip on your stuff and could earn you some well-deserved glares. Instead, ask your bus driver if it’s alright with them if you could put your stuff behind their chair. That, or put it under your feet or on your lap.
  • If you need to pass gas, DO IT OUTSIDE! Everyone will smell it!
  • If your bus tends to get crowded to the point where three people have to share a seat, don’t be the person that makes it horrible for everyone else. Sitting with friends is nice, but if they are not there when the bus is getting full, and it is clear that the person asking to sit with you has no other place to go, tough luck to your friend.
  • Be careful about what you talk about on the bus; if you are gossiping, there’s bound to be someone on the bus who knows that person. If you really need to gossip, try not to let the whole bus hear it.
  • Do not put your knees up on the seat. The person sitting in front of you CAN FEEL the metal bending into their back. It is very annoying, disrespectful, and you wouldn’t like it if it was done to you.
  • Don’t keep switching seats or get up to throw something away while the bus is moving; you will most likely fall into someone, and it won’t be fun.
  • Don’t eat on the bus and leave your garbage all over the floor. Your bus driver is nice enough to let you eat on the bus, and they have to clean up after you if you leave stuff behind. It’s not fair to them, and they can revoke your privilege to eat at all.
  • If the seat belts are hanging on the seats, do not push them forward onto the people in front of you. The seat belt will either fall on their head or back, and it’s really disrespectful. Not only that, but your bus driver has to hang all those up after you leave.

Things TO Do:

• Be courteous. No one is happy about being on the bus, and having people with bad manners on it is even worse.
  • Be nice to your bus driver. Simple things like saying “Thank you” to your driver and behaving normally is sure to make their day.
  • Substitute bus drivers are bound to happen. Instead of pretending like you can’t hear them when they ask for directions, help them out to the best of your ability.
  • Make friends! Talk to the person sitting next you. You might have more in common with them than you think.

Riding the bus is not a right; it’s a privilege. Acting like a decent human is the least you can do to make sure everyone has a good experience.