• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

Trappin’ Out

Trappin+Out
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/107235400″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Hip hop has come a long way since its mid-70s origins in the Bronx. In the past 10 years, rap and hip hop culture has exploded into the mainstream, leaving behind its humble roots and adapting itself to modern trends while remaining cutting-edge. With the sudden rise of Electronic Dance Music (EDM) and techno, it was only a matter of time before the two seemingly opposite genres came together into what would come to be known as trap music.

Dreyfoos’ answer to the trap music phenomenon comes in the shape of Dreyfoos vocal senior Duke Nelson and digital media senior Alessio Villa. The genre-bending new song “Anything” from the rapper/producer duo was released through Villa’s Soundcloud account a few days after the start of the school year under the names Duke and Tadeo.

For both artists, this track was an opportunity to showcase their other talents as well as work together to create something they could both be proud of.

“Its a myth, me being an electronic music producer. I’ve never really restricted myself genre-wise,” Villa said. “In the long run, music is a sweet door that leads to other equally awesome interests of mine. Working with an incredible vocalist and lyricist is just too dope. [Nelson and I] really connect on an intellectual level. It shows in our work”.  

Speaking of the transition from singing to rapping, Nelson explained that rapping is just another skill he’d like to show. Through years of training Nelson has learned to develop his voice in a number of different ways.

“I’ve already proved myself with my voice among my peers. I wanted to let all my friends know that not only can I sing, but that I’m a poet who’d like to be taken seriously,” Nelson said.

Nelson and Villa, longtime friends, were excited to collaborate with one another on their shared art form while combining their separate passions for lyricism and instrumental beats.

“I grew up listening to hip hop, I grew up scratching and mixing hip-hop into my DJ sets ever since I began on vinyl records” Villa said. “Working with a rapper was something I’ve always wanted to do. I can send a message verbally in a way that really inspires and grabs people’s attention, like it still does when I hear a crazy good line being spit on a squeaky clean track.”

The motivational song was inspired by Nelson’s own life and touches on the hardships he has faced over the years.

“The main message I want people to get through my music is that life goes on if you stay strong. My main influence was life,” Nelson said. “I want to relate to my audience, so I tell the truth.”

Creeping up with an intro reminiscent of music artist Diplo’s work (one of Villa’s main influences), the song builds up and explodes into a thumping beat that swaggers along with Nelson’s flow. Delivering a message of perseverance and positivity, Nelson discusses following his dreams while staying morally clean; he contrasts himself to those who try to succeed by drug dealing or resorting to gang violence. The chorus, sung by Nelson himself, consists of a reassuring repetition that ‘you can do anything.’

The duo’s song has been met with praise from their peers and has only served to further join the departing senior class in celebrating their last year together. Music has the power to bring people together, something Nelson and Villa are very aware of and want to use to their advantage.

Both artists (who go by the stage names Duke and Tadeo) have stated that their music careers will carry over into their adult lives after high school. Villa hopes to play more live sets after his 18th birthday while Nelson wants to build a sturdy, local fan base. For now, they have announced the upcoming release of their first music video in November, and the release of their website. In a Muse exclusive sneak-peek into their upcoming work, the pair revealed their two new songs–a party song with a Gameboy Color inspired beat and a lyrically focused track that samples Bob Marley’s “Nice Time” and deals with society’s heavier subject matters such as domestic issues. With fans and friends waiting for the next move, the duo stays confident they will deliver their strongest work.

$850
$10000

Juan Ramirez
Juan Ramirez, Website Managing Editor
Juan A. Ramirez is currently in his second year on The Muse. After a year working as an Entertainment staffer, Juan is now Head Columnist for the Op/Ed section, as well as Website Managing Editor. An avid writer, Ramirez is excited to have the opportunity to write as much as possible about a broad variety of topics, from both an unbiased news perspective and a more personal point of view. He will continue writing reviews of films, concerts and all other aspects of pop culture, as it remains his passion. Born in Caracas, Venezuela and moving to Florida in 2005, Ramirez has shown an interest in the arts from an early age. Also an avid student of film, Ramirez has been steadily enrolled in film classes since first offered to him. He hopes to become some sort of film/arts critic in the future or, if lucky, host a review show.
$850
$10000