Hallmark Movies Worth Watching

A review for those looking to watch a romantic holiday film this December
Will Kemp and Lacey Chabert in Christmas Waltz
Photo courtesy of Hallmark Channel
Will Kemp and Lacey Chabert in “Christmas Waltz” Photo courtesy of Hallmark Channel

Get those stockings hung, lights on, and presents ready because Christmas time is here. There is no better way to welcome in the most wonderful time of year than to watch a heartwarming Hallmark movie, so here are a few selections to kick off the festive season.

1. “Christmas Waltz”

Soon-to-be bride Avery (Lacey Chabert) finds herself lost when she breaks off her engagement to her absentminded fiance David (Jeremy Guilbaut). Avery meets Roman (Will Kemp), her new dance instructor and the two become closer. As Avery takes more lessons, they find themselves falling for each other as dancing unfolds into a romantic connection for them.

As the opening scene started, there was a beautiful dance between two silhouettes, setting a magical feel for what was to come. Avery was used to making decisions based on what other people wanted, rather than just for herself. The growth in her character as she started making decisions for herself was encouraging for a young woman like me to see. The support from Roman gave her the confidence to dance, and find something she enjoyed, which warmed my heart. My favorite scene was in the middle of the movie when Roman moved to dim the lights, turned on the Christmas lights around the room, and began to slow dance with Avery through the room in its warm, romantic setting. That was the moment they realized there was more to them than just friendship. Overall, I could feel their chemistry the most out of all the films and their instant connection and that progression from friends to lovers sealed the deal of giving this movie the top rank. Roman reintroduced a forgotten part of Avery’s life, one that she didn’t even know she missed. Avery brought a new light into Roman’s life, and they both found love within each other.

Will Kemp and Lacey Chabert in “Christmas Waltz”
Photo courtesy of Hallmark Channel

2. “Snow Bride”

Greta (Katrina Law) has only one thing on her mind, getting the next juicy gossip to make headlines. Greta’s next story is on the wealthy Tannerhill family, but as she gets to know the Tannerhills more and questions the morality of her intentions. She finds herself stuck between choosing what is best for her career and what is best for her heart.

In this movie, Ben Tannerhill (Jordan Belfi) is hesitant to go for his aspiration to become a writer, a profession contrary to his family of politicians. The sweetest part for me was seeing Ben have the courage to chase after his passion because Greta was the first to support him. Ben and Greta were also never supposed to become anything romantic, but they didn’t realize they were falling in love until later, an anticipating romance unfolding moment by moment. I was always interested in what was going to happen next. The tension of the secrets between the two leads felt too stressful at times for a romance movie, but the buildup of the plot kept it in the top two of the films. You almost forget Greta is not with Ben. She gets very close with his family as well, already destining Ben and Greta to have a loving relationship, which I thought was wholesome.

Jordan Belfi and Katrina Law in “Snow Bride”
Photo courtesy of Hallmark Channel

3. “Christmas at Pemberley Manor”

Holiday planner Elizabeth Bennet (Jessica Lowndes) is sent on her first solo assignment to operate a small town’s Christmas festival. When the town’s square is damaged by a sudden storm, Elizabeth takes the initiative to convince Mr. Darcy (Micheal Rady), the owner of Pemberley Manor, to let the town use his estate instead. Though uninterested, Mr. Darcy slowly gets more into the Christmas spirit and he reflects on his childhood at Pemberley Manor, realizing his hidden fondness for the holidays. 

The female lead, Elizabeth Bennet, embodied a determined mindset with enthusiastic passion I would hope to see in someone during a festive time of year. Her vivacity brought the energy in this film, always sharing a smile and creating that homey feeling everyone wants during the holidays. Mr. Darcy, who doesn’t have a fond spirit for the holiday, begins to reawaken his love for the holiday with the help of Elizabeth, who enlightens him to partake in the festivities leading them to spend a lot of time together. Slowly, Mr. Darcy’s mood shifts from staid to enlivened.  It was wholesome to watch the significance of simply having the encouragement of someone else beside you to bring out the best of you. Even though it was ranked last because of its slow pace, this film truly showcased the beauty of the Christmas spirit. It did a fantastic job with the evolution of personality in the characters.

Michael Rady and Jessica Lowndes in “Christmas at Pemberley Manor”
Photo courtesy of Hallmark Channel

What is your hallmark movie plot?

There was an error. Please try again.

4 Total Questions