• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

#SJW2015 Scholastic Court Case: Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier

A monumental Supreme Court case decision that established fundamental rights for scholastic journalists, Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier set a legality for regulating student speech. Many ask “how far is too far” in regards to student newspapers, and this court case allows schools and principals to constitutionally draw the line. Though Hazelwood does not have as much of a funny ring to it as “Bong Hits 4 Jesus,” its verdict is similar in how it leads to censorship.

The Hazelwood East High School’s newspaper, The Spectrum, wanted to publish articles regarding diversity and teen pregnancy. It was customary for the school to have the paper submit proofs of the newspaper before publishing in order for the principal to review, so, when advisor Howard Emerson sent in the pages for Principal Robert Eugene Reynolds to read, Reynolds had some concerns. He felt that the two stories were too controversial and decided to cut two full pages from the paper, keeping five other innocent stories from being published as collateral damage. Students were not alerted ahead of time, so the young journalists found out about the last-minute cut when the published papers arrived.

Editor Cathy Kuhlmeier and other reporters filed suit, claiming the principal’s changes violated their First Amendment rights. However, once the case came to the Supreme Court, they deemed that school administrators have the right to exercise prior restraint, giving blanket topics that the school newspaper would not be able to cover.

$750
$10000

Mackenzie White
Mackenzie White, News Editor
Communications student Mackenzie White is the News Editor of The Muse as well as the Assistant Floor Director for TV Production. She enjoys reading and writing and is a big fan of films and television. White has a 15-year-old sister who is currently a theater freshman along with a 29-year-old brother who is a Dreyfoos Alumnus Class of 2003. She interns weekly for Senator Bill Nelson in his West Palm Beach office and has a strong passion for politics and social activism. Her dream for college is to attend University of Virginia as a political science and history major. White looks forward to finishing up her wonderful experience as a student at Dreyfoos.
$750
$10000